1. - Top - End - #17
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Inphidian Strikes Back: Let's Read Tome of Horrors II

Cinder Ghoul
    This CR 7 undead is the product of people killed by magical fire; why exactly this makes them Large size and capable of flying is beyond me, but there it is. In addition to having the Fire subtype, their arcane origins grant them the ability to take the form of smoke, as well as deal Constitution damage by clogging opponent's organs with their burning smog. I'll give you three guesses as to what type of player this monster is meant to punish. No, the first two guesses don't count.

Clamor
    While the last monster is meant to be a bane to a specific player, this creature performs the exact opposite function as a boon for a specific character class. Clamors, so called because of their multiples mouths making hefty amounts of noise, are naturally invisible CR 4 Aberrations. They are heavily associated with sound and music, with their ability to mimic any sound perfectly, has a sonic burst attack, is affected in strange ways by sound-based spells, and...well, I think this ability really needs to be quoted in full.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tome of Horrors II
    Speed of Sound (Ex): Once per day, a clamor can move at the speed of sound for a number of minutes equal to its Hit Dice. Its speed becomes 6,820 feet per round (1,364 squares), but it cannot attack or make use of any of its other abilities when moving this way.
    Yes, that quote is real. In any case, as I previously stated, clamors are meant as a bit of a boon creature, in that a Bard of 5th level or higher can communicate with and subsequently befriend a clamor to act as a companion of sorts. If nothing else, it's one hell of a conversation piece.

"How exactly did you end up with a one-legged mouth-covered abomination against nature as your adventuring partner?"

"We have an understanding."

Colossus, Jade
    Ah, colossi, those mighty uber-golems outfitted with massive size and heaps of Hit Dice. They're pretty fun higher-level monsters, but alas, only the jade colossus has shown up for the Tome of Horrors II party. Still, one is better than none, and in spite of being "only" CR 16, the jade colossus has one amazing pair of party tricks. Of course, this isn't a surprise; in addition to being a colossus and all, these jade giants are built by powerful spellcasters and the denizens of the City of Brass...again, it's generally a good idea not to upset the efreet.

Anyway, the jade colossus can blind foes that use light attacks on it, since its body just bounces that light around inside before blasting it back. In addition, the jade colossus has a breath weapon that deals a whopping 15d6 points of untyped damage, and turns those killed by it into jade statues.

There is also a sidebar detailing the Jade Guardian, a unique CR 20 jade colossus built to defend the City of Brass. Its weapon of choice (besides the whole breath wepaon thing) is the Ruby Star of Law: this fancy tool of totalitarianism slows lawful creatures, stuns and deals 6d6 points of damage to non-lawful creatures, slows lawful creatures, and deals a mighty 6d4 Constitution damage to genies.
    Last edited by Rappy; 2011-06-14 at 06:51 PM.
    My Let's Reads, Let's Plays, and other Let's Projects
    Spoiler
    Show
    Let's Read the Tome of Horrors; because sometimes, five Monster Manuals just isn't enough (Status: Complete)

Let's Read the Tome of Horrors II; it's happening again... (Now in thread Mark II [Status: Abandoned])

Dusk of Man, Dawn of Magic: A post-apocalyptic occult setting spanning the entire world

LGBTitP