Quote Originally Posted by Ernir View Post
Comments![*]Cantrips: All cantrips on the Sor/Wiz list, or from all arcane lists?
Sorcerer/Wizard list. I'm not stingy about cantrips; this is me being intentionally bad/lazy, because I hate when people get stingy about cantrips known (either by RAW or houserule; there's nothing inherently broken, gameplay-wise, about a Sorcerer entering play knowing every cantrip as opposed to the usual four, with a cap of nine) and see no reason not to give just about every cantrip. I didn't think too much about the Bard's list, but aside from Summon Instrument (which is basically a Bardic feature), I don't see the harm.

I'll make a specific cantrip list, I guess... Mumble grumble.

[*]The spell list in general: Is in dire need of alphabetization.
Sorry; I compiled the list in my sleep (I wish this was a lie). By the time I had gotten the list done (going through both PHBs and the SpC for spells), I had lost sight of the fact that it needed to be alphabetized, especially since I was constantly adding/removing various spells.

[*]Bloodletting: Metamagic, GP and XP cost mitigation: DANGER DANGER. This is a very powerful feature. I haven't looked over the spell list to see what will happen just out-of-the-box (nevermind what happens when you do something like PrC into Rainbow Servant), but really, as flavorful as the mechanic may be, I'd call implementing any feature like this a fundamentally bad idea.
Two peculiarities I noticed:
  • Ability damage that can't be naturally healed is called Ability Burn.
  • What happens if, say, you're immune to Constitution damage? There is nothing in the rules preventing undead creatures from becoming Blood Mages, for example.
Bloodletting metamagic is the only thing that makes the Bloodletting feature worthwhile; GP and even EXP costs are relatively minor unless you have a spell list full to bursting with absolutely broken spells with high EXP costs (and you don't). The number of spells with GP and EXP costs here isn't that frightening.

Still, it's reason enough, in my mind, to keep the HD at D4, and CHA-based casting until the capstone (or at least later in the class), so you don't have an absurdly large resource pool to dig from as a class feature.

Regarding the two peculiarities, it should be noted that I was using the Stigmata feat (from Book of Exalted Deeds, 46) as my precedent for ALL wording on the Constitution damage, and didn't think there was a problem, but:
1) I will change the wording to "Constitution Burn". (Sorry - I've never opened a Psionics book, as all games I've played in have houseruled them out, and they never interested me individually. Color me ignorant here.) I will also amend the wording on hit point damage paid for casting spells, as well as EXP and GP costs, because even though I was consciously aware of the fact that there is no clause saying this damage overcomes DR, I never changed it, because I didn't find the perfect fix. (What's a good substitute?)
2) It's pretty much axiomatic that a creature with no Constitution score (such as an Undead or a Construct) can't sacrifice Constitution points (which it does not have) for a class feature, just as they can't be punished by ability drain or damage to their Constitution score (which it does not have). There's nothing broken or even difficult to interpret about this: A creature with no Constitution score can't pay a Constitution cost for an ability.Just for clarity's sake, I'll amend this to include the wording that characters without Constitution scores can't pay for Constitution-based effects (though, truthfully, I can't find any wording for it in Stigmata, so I'd think it's simple RAW/RAI).

[quote]
[*]Naming convention: You refer to the class interchangeably as "blood mage" and "blood magus". I don't know the underlying grammar here, but it looks inconsistent.[*]Stigmata: Requires a book/page reference.[*][b]Blood Pact: Share pain requires a book/page reference.[*]Ritual Blood Bonds: Requires a book/page reference.
All issues of poor proofreading and late-night writing that I will certainly fix. (Thanks for bringing this to my attention--I gloss over "Blood Magus" like it's nothing, because it's not something unusual to find in D&D. Just didn't stick out to me, I guess.)

[*]Scent: Sounds a bit like the lifesense of a wraith. Do you want this to be scent-related? Also, needs a definition of what a "recently deceased creature" is. One minute from death? One hour? One week?
I did want this to be scent-related, because lifesnse specifically excludes the recently deceased, but includes plants (which don't have blood). Flavor-wise, it's not that the character has a special sense for one's life forces; it's that they're particularly attuned to the scent of blood.

I will make some amendments to my shoddy wording: This ability will exclude plants (and other living creatures that do not bleed, if any), and will have a specific timeline on when a creature can be detected (I was thinking something to the effect of "while the blood is still warm", but I don't know what that entails; I may try to use precedents for Track on this where, after a certain time, penalties are incurred, but I'll work this out).

[*]Blood Mastery: Are the bonus HP in addition to the bonus HP granted by the constitution increase, or are they a part of it?[/list]
It's a commensurate bonus (you gain bonus HP equal to the bonus to your CON modifier times your HD); the problem here is that I was using the wording for the Bardic ability Inspire Greatness, which I misread (that relates specifically to a change in HD, not to a change in your CON modifier).

Thanks for the pointers! Please allow six to eight weeks for delivery of revisions.