Quote Originally Posted by Lonely Tylenol View Post
Okay, yeah, I see the problem here, and I see why it's a problem: Hit Dice are a static gain, but the HP cost grows exponentially, so the drawback (the HP cost) grows to significantly outweigh the available resources (HP) and then plummets from there.

For that, I'm starting to like the fix I offered in my previous post a lot more, because it scales with your spell availability, because, well, it is your spell availability.

You've done one better, though--given me an idea of exactly where it needs to go, so as not to be a futile endeavor.
Yep. You make a good point, though, that a burn-spells-inefficiently-for-healing ability could be self-balancing at the right exchange rate, since the availability of the healing scales automatically with the availability of the spells that create the need for healing.

Point taken - I just don't want it to be overcome by something that's simple and innate, like DR or something equivalent.
You could mark the hp spent to power spells as sacrifice damage, such as when using shield other or a vicious weapon. Because sacrifice damage is a cost, not an effect, it can't be prevented without negating the original effect that the character is seeking to activate.

EDIT: Looking at this last paragraph here, I realize that I also need to find a way to specifically exclude the use of Bloodletting on spell lists from other classes you can cast from.
Good catch.

Verbage!

Bloodletting: In order to cast spells, a Blood Mage must draw from their own life essences to deliver the arcane energies. When a Blood Mage casts a spell from the blood mage spell list, they must take 1 point of damage per spell level of the spell being cast. For instance, to cast a 5th-level spell, a Blood Mage must take 5 points of damage during the casting, infusing their spellcasting with their own blood.

A Blood Mage can further use their bloodletting in two ways: First, a Blood Mage can use Bloodletting to pay the material components for spells from the blood mage spell list with costly components. A Blood Mage may choose to take 1 hit point of damage per 25gp of the spell's material component cost. At 8th level, the Blood Mage can pay for experience costs with their own blood as well, taking 1 hit point of damage per 5xp of the spell's experience cost.

Second, at 11th level, a Blood Mage can use their life force to mitigate the spell level cost of metamagic feats when casting spells from the blood mage spell list. Doing so is particularly taxing, however, and thus a Blood Mage that chooses to mitigate metamagic this way takes 1 point of Constitution damage for level adjusted in this way. This damage can only be cured through 8 hours of restful sleep. A Blood Magus cannot use this ability to increase a spell's level above the highest level a Blood Mage can cast.

EDIT II: Actually, how cheesy would that be, if I allowed Bloodletting (GP, EXP, or even Metamagic) to be applied to other spell lists for spells known, but only for arcane casting? How many high-level arcane spells with steep GP costs are broken to pieces by a one-level dip in Blood Mage? (Keeping in mind that, since 8 and 11 are the requirements for EXP and Metamagic, you won't get beyond 6th-level casting otherwise, so you can't abuse endgame EXP costs now on the Blood Mage spell list, which excludes you from getting free Wishes.) I'm thinking I might let that slide if there's nothing overtly cheesy about it, but...
The symbol line of spells would probably be your biggest worry point. Their costs are high enough to discourage frequent use without mitigation, they benefit substantially from free metamagic, and they last until triggered, so they can be cast ahead of time. But, yeah, Arcane Disciple just blows it all to pieces.