Quote Originally Posted by Shadowknight12 View Post
I would bet my right knee it has been at least influenced by a certain historical figure who suffered a similar death and whose first name is a current internet meme preceded by the word "Zombie" and/or "Raptor."
The illustration of the particular entry adds credence to that, but I wasn't going to make any jokes due to the forum rules.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dragon, Dungeon
Ha ha! Metahumor. From the name to its modus operandi, the CR 9 dungeon dragon is the ultimate in-joke monster, encapsulating many D&D stereotypes into a single creature. Dungeon dragons get plenty of amusement out of being an expy for the DM, crafting elaborate mazes and dungeons, placing traps, and importing monsters, before heading out in the guise of a humanoid to announce that there's "this totally awesome dungeon with treasure out there for reals!" Indeed, unlike many dragons, the dungeon dragon has no real attachment to its treasure: all the shinies are simply a means to an end, with that end being attracting adventuring parties. After its prey has reached the dungeon, this dragon sits back and enjoys the show with its crystal ball. After all, if blood sports worked for the Romans, it sure works for a powerful draconic mastermind.

As far as powers go, the dungeon dragon is definitely geared more towards support rather than active combat. Its breath weapon induces the spell confusion rather than dealing damage, and its other main abilities are dominate monster to capture new critters for its games, shapeshifting to bring forth adventure hooks, and the innate ability to craft crystal balls to oversee its exploits. This means that the dungeon dragon isn't so much the BBEG as it is the Q or Mytzlplk. In the end, the dungeon dragon is a trickster that just wants to have fun, and it just so happens that its definition of fun puts the adventurers in danger.

Dragon, Smoke
Inoffensive CR 2 omnivores, the small smoke dragons aren't exactly the paragon of ferocity. With the ability to take on a smoky form and breath painful but nonlethal smog breath, they aren't so much opponents as they are nuisances. Indeed, considering their high intellect, I can't help but wonder if they were meant to be an alternative to the pseudodragon as a draconic companion. The notes on how many eggs and young are typically in a nest seems to lend credence to this idea...

Dragonship
You know those Viking longboats with the draconic figureheads? Yeah, that's basically what these massive CR 10 Constructs are. Their innate navigational skills, control over the winds, and fiery breath weapon means they are a tool for the PCs or some band of raiders or other maritime opponent.