View Single Post

Thread: Lord of the Rings Cave Troll.

1. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Default Re: Lord of the Rings Cave Troll.

Not to mention the trolls that were at Pellenor Fields, which didn't turn to stone either. It's been too long since I read the books to actually consider myself an authority, but I consider the movie to be a OK resource in terms of not being completely retarded and untrue to the books and the trolls in the films didn't turn to stone except in The Hobbit. Those trolls could also speak coherently and do other things the cave troll did not do, so they don't necessarily have to be the same thing.

Personally, I think it would be more of a mess than it's worth. Just about any troll would probably be Large size and have a mess of either LA or racial Hit Dice, either of which will likely just set you back behind a party. You'll probably be limited to a min-maxing Hulking War Hurler build (that is, Hulking Hurler and War Hulk) for high Strength and zero brains. Other than that, there aren't many things to do that you couldn't do just as well or better with a basic race.

As a last side note, you shouldn't let that particular Wiki dissuade you from using them as a particular resource. They can be helpful if you know what you're looking for. With that one, you may just be wading through crap to get there.
    Last edited by Cidolfas; 2011-07-11 at 03:30 PM. Reason: silly GITP, censoring me
    A proud contributor to DnD-Wiki.org, which focuses on the production of quality homebrew content as well as maintenance of the SRD and other Open Game Licensed material.

My favorite class is the ranger, a fact that I am ashamed of because the 3.5e incarnation of it kind of sucks. As a result, I'm very stubborn and opinionated concerning what I think a ranger should be, so if you post a ranger variant I will probably post what I think about it for good or ill.