Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
In other news, picture this;

During a round in a tournament, a pair of players finish their Deployment Phase, immediately, the Tyranid player forfeits. The Space Wolf player, complains, saying "Just play the game."
The Tyranid responds that the Space Wolf player is playing full Mech, there's no way that he - the Tyranid player - can win, and to save himself the embarrassment of a crushing, humilating defeat, the player will forfeit the match and go have an early lunch or something.

The Space Wolf player responds "You suck. Just play the game, I want to beat you. If you don't, I'm marking you a bad Sportsman. I want to play the game, and you're denying me that right, you're preventing me from having fun."
The Tyranid player calmly responds that that response is why he's forfeiting. Calls a TO over, and hands the piece of paper that says he lost to the TO.

The Space Wolf player wont sign the slip, therefore the TO can't accept the slip, and the Tyranid player has to play him.

The Space Wolf player is summarily asked to leave the Tournament. The Tyranid player, counts as having a Bye for the round, and therefore is awarded a 'win'.
Wow. Not a fan of either reaction, TBH. I've had games where before deployment you know that you can't possibly win (3rd ed, Assassins mission vs IG Tank Company - 9 pie plates a turn to take out a chaplain), but don't agree with a straight forfeit. IMO, forfeit is there because you have some unforseen circumstance come up (eg illness, family stuff), not "I can't win". Some of my better tournament memories have involved receiving an absolute thrashing - you learn more from them than yet another close loss that you blame on poor dice rolls.

That being said, the SW player reaction is on the far side of OTT. I don't see how the puppy-player could try to justify personal attacks because of this.

And seriously, who doesn't plan for mech-based when going to a tournament?