So I've wanted to play a town builder game for a while, guided by the idea that even common working peasants should be able to earn enough to sustain themselves. Basically, this post.

Here's what I've come up with so far:
-Important resources could include: Lumber, Minerals, Sustenance, & Currency
~Resources are gathered in groups called 'nodes', which have a limited supply and a limit to how many workers may access it at a given time.
~Some nodes, like trees or food, should be able to grow, albeit at a slow pace
~You can use resources for building and supplying your populace, or trade it off to other settlements.
~Thinking about creating a trading system that takes into account whether or not certain settlements require certain resources (willing to pay more/less).
~Possibly allow different levels of resources: standard, exceptional, luxurious. Nodes that have higher level materials would give a bonus to the Profession check of anyone that harvested from the node, representing higher quality material
-Building pricing is based pretty much off of the Stronghold Builder's Guide.
-Prices for hiring mercs/adventurers from the Arms & Equipment Guide
~Considering altering prices a little... Not sure. It just doesn't seem like a lot compared to the 7+ gp peasants can easily earn/week.
-The various uses of the Profession skill are used primarily to gather resources
~They harvest an amount of resources (in gold pieces) equal to the result of the Profession check, but only earn half of this (as the skill itself dictates).
~This follows the idea that in D&D, you generally sell items at 1/2 price. Of course you could choose to pay more/less but there should be consequences for such
~Keeping track of workers seems like it would be a pain, so a system that organizes them by skill and what they are doing, seems like it would make most sense
~~ie. (19) Prof (Woodcutter) +4, Prof (Miner) +4:
(12) harvesting at the Skystab Caldera Mineral node
(7) harvesting at the Mangled Pines Lumber node

That's pretty much all I have. I'm curious what everyone thinks, though.