1. - Top - End - #89
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Doctor Who thread II: "I should have a hat like that." [SPOILERS]

After 18 months or more of hard work, I have finally watched the entire back catalogue of Doctor Who. Blimey!

Now bereft of my fix, my plan is to post what I think to be the highlights of each season, to provoke discussion, dissension or bemusement. I'm not going to spoiler them as I'll try to be circumspect about details, and it seems pointless spoilering a show thats over 40 years old. Classic Who has Seasons (1-26), NuWho has Series (1-6 so far). I'll throw out a new season every now and again.

For each series I'll try to choose 2, maybe 3 of what I consider to be the best stories, which may comprise any number of actual episodes (somewhere between 1-14, typically 4 or 6). Older Who is nearly always episodic, with NuWho most episodes are self-contained. Feel free to expand on my brief comments, agree, disagree etc. This is, after all, purely subjective.

Previous Posts:
    Season One

And now...

Season Two (1964-65)
    First Doctor/Susan/Ian/Barbara/Vicki/Steven

The Dalek Invasion of Earth – yes, I know, another Dalek story, but this one has some great atmosphere, particularly helped by some location shots in deserted London streets. And Barbara gets that moment with the truck.

The Web Planet – so the costumes are a bit like a school play, but I admire this one for its attempt to portray a really alien planet, and although the costumes are pretty poor, the actors manage a good job of seeming quite alien in speech and movement, which helps - there is a surprisingly good moment when the menoptera fly in to attack the zarbi. I like the interplay between The Doctor/William Hartnell and Vicki/Maureen O’ Brien. Both actors and characters seem to go well together, each egging the other on into mischief.

Honourable Mentions
    The Crusade – very stylishly done, almost Shakespearian in feel, and again some nice moments with The Doctor and Vicki. Shame, again, this one is incomplete.

Planet of Giants – looks surprisingly good, but the plot doesn’t really go anywhere.
    Last edited by Dr. Simon; 2011-08-31 at 04:25 AM.
    The Lazy GM series. Lovingly crafted pre-gen monsters for Pathfinder and OGL d20 fantasy.