1. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by RaggedAngel View Post
    Aria, my long-lived and long-loved Truenamer and me are both huge fans of you, Zaq. I look forward to seeing this guide grow, expand, and shine, despite the... difficulty of the subject matter.

Perhaps we should open up a clinic, for those of us who just can't help but play a Truenamer. Not to get our love of badass word-magic removed, but to help us learn to taste ice cream again.
    I was able to taste ice cream after the first topic, but I'm not sure I still can. I'm a little scared to try.

Quote Originally Posted by flumphy View Post
    I actually laughed aloud at the title. I feel blasphemous now.

As for the actual guide, it looks really handy. My group isn't very homebrew-friendly, so a compendium tricks that (arguably) work within the scope of the existing rules is useful indeed.
    I live to serve! One of the many factors that pushed me to finally write this thing is that I thought of that title and couldn't stop giggling at it. I just had to share it. 22,500 words later, I'm glad it made you laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Can Buommi Truespeak? Without breaking their vow, I mean. Breaking the vow penalizes skill checks (including Truespeak!), and the penalties stack, and there's no way to remove them, and each time you do adds a whole day to their duration, and there is no cap. (How'd you like a nice fat -20 to Truespeak?)

The Cha penalty just adds insult to injury.

Anyway, excellent guide, have many cookies.
    Heh, it was just something I threw in there to be silly. Truespeech definitely isn't normal speech, so they MIGHT be able to sing it. Hell if I know. It was just something that made me laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Akal Saris View Post
    Nice, always good to see some love for the poor truenamer :)

I'd like recommend a prestige class for them - the Legacy Champion from Weapons of Legacy. It gives 8/10 advancement of truenaming, and trades away 2 levels of truenaming for better HP, BAB, and saves, as well as various special abilities added/changed for the legacy weapon, suck as flat bonuses to skill checks. I saw it mentioned in the Uncanny Trickster description, but I think it deserves a second look, especially considering how few PrCs there are for truenamers already.
    The BAB and saves are actually exactly the same, so the only real benefit is a d8 HD instead of a d6 and an expanded skill list. While I can respect an expanded skill list, if I'm going to take a prereq feat and lose at least one level of Truenamer, I'd rather just take Able Learner and dip Factotum, since it's faster and even more flexible, especially since the only added skills are Decipher Script and Gather Info. That said, it might be an option for folks who don't have access to Able Learner. I might add it later.

Quote Originally Posted by OMG PONIES View Post
    Part shameless plug, part gratitude for your previous guide/journal, here is Sortes, a Truenamer that just took gold in round XXIII of the Iron Chef Optimization contest.

Knowledge Domain and Oracle Domain can help you with learning personal truenames (not to mention your ranking within the Paragnostic Assembly), and the 9th-level spell of the Destiny Domain allows you to reroll every Truespeak check for the duration of the spell.

While other fast-progression casters may be more powerful, the Divine Crusader fits nicely with the flavor of a truenamer's devotion to Truenaming and magic. Also, the capstone ability gives you the outsider type, so you can polymorph into a logokron devil for a +10 racial bonus to Truespeak checks that stacks with everything else.

EDIT: Can the Analyze Item/trap trick be used in conjunction with Spell Rebirth as a readied action? Round 1, you analyze the whatever and see that it's trapped. Round 2, you ready an action to utter Spell Rebirth as your fearless friend activates the trap. You utter, and it automatically dispels the spell "affecting" them before the bad stuff actually even happens. Could it work?
    Sortes was one reason that I didn't judge last round (certainly not the only reason, of course). There was no way I could judge him fairly. Congrats on that, by the way. As for Spell Rebirth . . . I think that's firmly in "ask your GM" territory, but I'd personally consider allowing it to at least give your friend a save for half damage (or maybe you get to make a Reflex save for half damage on their behalf, since you have to be faster than the trap, and it does have to affect them at least a little bit). Definitely worth trying, but I'm not going to say that it absolutely works by RAW, at least not if the trap is a damage trap instead of a curse trap.
    Last edited by Zaq; 2011-09-04 at 12:12 PM.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers ALL HAIL KING TORG!

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    Do you play 4e? I wrote a guide to Truenamers in 4e as well!
    Here's something I homebrewed. (It's not Truenamer-related, honest.) PEACH!