1. - Top - End - #19
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Xtomjames View Post
    I would like to point out a few things that were more or less glanced over by Zaq in his FAQ.
    And so it begins.
    Truename research is far more useful than he lets on, for one, you can take the time to learn the truename of spells, or any object. This actually can break the game because a truenamer that finally gets the Truenamer Research feat can, if he has access to a spellbook or library or scroll, learn any level spell and potentially use it once the truename is learned. In one campaign my truenamer learned the truename of the Limited Wish spell at level 2 and had complete access to it far before any character should.
    This is not a thing that you can do. I don't know where you got this, but it's not RAW.
    And because a truenamer's abilities lie in the ability to enact a truename, he is only limited by universal laws (as found in ToM) as to how often he can use learned spells. Thus a truenamer is far more versatile than explained. They can become very powerful very early on, and with high Int and bonuses to knowledge skills and the truespeak skill they can accomplish various magic very quickly with successful skill checks.
    Again, you can't cast spells with Truespeak. If you could, it would be broken in the other direction.
    The fun part about this is that See The Named then works for known spells, any object that has that spell or any creature that can cast that spell pops up on the Truenamer's "radar" sort to speak.
    This isn't how See the Named works, and even if it was, it wouldn't work like this. It's like a Scrying spell, not "radar."
    Lastly, Zaq failed to mention the number one reason why the Truenamer is actually a very broken class (and therefore fun), a truenamer can cast a spell or utterance on a person without line of sight or affect, they can cast a spell on a creature, object, or thing that they know the truename of, from anywhere and affect that creature, they're also immune to many of the affects that dampen magic. Anti-magic fields don't necessarily apply to them and dispelling an utterance is impossible (except for another truenamer).
    He didn't mention this because it isn't true. They need line of sight, they need to be within range, and they can't Speak in an Antimagic Field.
    Lastly Truenamers can become masters of Dark Utterances and are most often immune to the affects of Dark Utterances cast on to them.
    This statement makes me think that you have regeneration overcome by fire and acid, if you get what I mean. I don't know where you're getting the rules for Truespeak in your game, but it isn't the Tome of Magic.
    Last edited by RaggedAngel; 2011-09-04 at 01:10 PM.
    I've become sick just in time for my first round of tests. Posting will be slightly less enthusiastic for a week or so.

LGBTitP

Thank you to Akrim.elf for my beautiful avatar.