1. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Xtomjames View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    And I'll disagree with you all and out here.

No where in the section on truenaming or the truenamer class does it say you Can't learn the truename of a spell. It does say that "Truenames encompass reality in it's entirety" and that includes spells. All things have a truename which can be used to command that thing or enact it. This is a fact of how the truenamer and truespeech functions.

So regardless of how much you may state it as false, it is absolutely true that a truenamer can learn and utilize spells via their truename. You're correct there is no RAW in the book that covers this because it is up to the DM to come up with true names and the truenamer class and the ability to use truenames is very liquid compared to most classes.

They even state in the section on utterances and lexicons that the lexicons are limited as written and it's more or less up to the players and DM to expand upon them.

Truename research applies to ALL things, period. All objects, all spells, all people, all creatures, all materials, places, etc. You use truename research to uncover the truenames of something. This again includes spells.

See the Named works in one of two ways depending on how you read it. Because it does state it "works as the scrying spell" but without the need of a focus, then in the case of scrying on a specific spell it'd act more like detect magic but for that specific spell.

While discovering the personal truename is relegated in explanation to living creature as explained on 197, and as per described in the Truename Research section on the previous page, the rules for discovering the truename of a spell work just the same (as is the case for any object).

Now, you may interpret the rules and the reading on truenames as limited (as you have) but it doesn't mean that the RAW doesn't include spells, as it most certainly does by the very wording of the section's introduction and general functionality of truespeech.
    You know what, you're right. Truenamers are great when you completely ignore the rules and make them up as you go.

I'm not going any deeper into this particular conversation. My guide is about how Truenamers actually work, not about how we want them to work.
    Last edited by Zaq; 2011-09-04 at 02:00 PM.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers ALL HAIL KING TORG!

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    Do you play 4e? I wrote a guide to Truenamers in 4e as well!
    Here's something I homebrewed. (It's not Truenamer-related, honest.) PEACH!