My thoughts, unsolicited and unwanted...

Quote Originally Posted by Vaynor View Post
Right off the bat, I like the piano recording on the first one. It's not lo-fi, so much as "set up a couple of mid-level mics and press record". Acoustic piano's easily the hardest instrument to record, but I think they captured a terrific sound.
I wish the vocals were maaaaybe a decibel or two louder, though, or at least more heavily compressed. There are points at which they're drowned out by the piano, which is a little distracting.
The song itself doesn't seem particularly remarkable to me; coupla very pretty moments, coupla pretty predictable ones. It's a very good performance, though; sounds like it was done, vocals and piano, in one take. Very cool, not quite something I'd normally listen to, though.

~~

Since they call this one a demo I won't bother commenting on the recording.
...although I don't think it'd be too much to ask for them to turn up the vocals just a hair. >_>
Not as big a fan of this one. I kinda feel like this is the sort of music that you connect with, or you don't; there's no middle ground, because it's such an unrepentantly simple song. Not that there's anything wrong with simple songs, but they're, in my experience, more polarizing, by necessity.

~~

I dig this one. Kinda Spoony, but more... British. Are these guys British? They sound very British. Everything about it, is very British. Lil' bit of Zombies, lil' bit of Stones, lil' bit of The Jam... and then, like, Sublime.

~~

My favorite one of the set. Don't have any really specific thoughts on it... it's like a coupla guys took a snapshot of a Radiohead song, just one moment of it, and expanded it into a full song. If that makes any sense. It's Radioheady, but a lot more rough and immediate. Still has that sort of ethereal element, though, which is very cool.

Vaynor, dunno if I've linked you to this before, but strikes me as the kinda thing you'd enjoy. Really cool guys, too, 'specially the bassist. Dat beard.