1. - Top - End - #239
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Doctor Who thread II: "I should have a hat like that." [SPOILERS]

Continuing my plan to post what I think to be the highlights of every season of Doctor Who, old and new.

For each series I'll try to choose 2, maybe 3 of what I consider to be the best stories, which may comprise any number of actual episodes (somewhere between 1-14, typically 4 or 6). Older Who is nearly always episodic, with NuWho most episodes are self-contained. Feel free to expand on my brief comments, agree, disagree etc. This is, after all, purely subjective.

Previous Posts:
    Season One
    Season Two

And now...

Season Three (1965-1966)
    First Doctor/Vicki/Steven/Dodo/Polly/Ben

The Daleks Master Plan – if you miss out the piddling about with the Meddling Monk and the Christmas specials, this is actually quite a taut and gritty political thriller, dominated by the excellent Kevin Stoney as Mavic Chen, and very bleak in tone. Yes, I know, daleks again! And, sadly, most of this is reconstructed as well. Oh, also, first appearance of Nicholas Courtney, but not as The Brig yet.
    (Edit: Now that I recall, the Monk is in The Chase (another dalek tale), not this series).

The Massacre – another fairly grim tale, this one centres on Peter Purvis’ character Steven who, it must be said, is an otherwise fairly bland companion but works well in this story as the innocent abroad. An interesting historical dealing with matters of faith and prejudice in a surprisingly forthright, almost angry, way. Sadly, reconstructed only.

Honourable Mentions
    The Ark – at least, rarely for this season, it is all intact. Highlighted for two reasons. One is that it is one of the few Who stories where we see the future results of the characters’ actions, the other is that fantastic panning shot of the giant statue.
    Last edited by Dr. Simon; 2012-10-10 at 07:49 AM.
    The Lazy GM series. Lovingly crafted pre-gen monsters for Pathfinder and OGL d20 fantasy.