Continuing my plan to post what I think to be the highlights of every season of Doctor Who, old and new.

For each series I'll try to choose 2, maybe 3 of what I consider to be the best stories, which may comprise any number of actual episodes (somewhere between 1-14, typically 4 or 6). Older Who is nearly always episodic, with NuWho most episodes are self-contained. Feel free to expand on my brief comments, agree, disagree etc. This is, after all, purely subjective.

Previous Posts:
Season One
Season Two
Season Three

And now...

Season Four (1966-1967)
First Doctor/Second Doctor/Ben/Polly/Jamie/Victoria

This season starts with a few William Hartnell stories, but ends with Patrick Troughton. Welcome, Second Doctor!

Power of the Daleks – yeah, yeah, another dalek one! The first story for the second Doctor, and sadly only in reconstructed form so we can’t fully judge his performance. However, I love the duplicity of the daleks in this one; compare and contrast with Victory of the Daleks; to me, “Would you like some liquid?” sounds far more sinister than “Would you like some tea?”, even though we lose the jammie dodger joke.

The Moonbase – story-wise a retread of The Tenth Planet, but done slightly better. Even if Polly is just sent to make the coffee. Again. Thanks, Kit "put the kettle on, love" Pedler.

Honourable Mentions
The Tenth Planet – the first appearance by the cybermen (with the strange sing-song voices), and also Hartnell’s last, although the whole of Who fandom reverberates with the frustration that the last episode (thus Hartnell’s last, and the first regeneration) is lost. Otherwise The Moonbase does the same story but slightly better, although I love the Antarctic location for this one.