View Single Post

Thread: [Another LA Race] The Trueblooded

1. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: [Another LA Race] The Trueblooded

Quote Originally Posted by silver spectre View Post
    So they have one racial HD?
    If you encounter an NPC Trueblooded, he will have an additional racial HD, yes. If you take it as a PC class for yourself, no.

No doubt of that, but sneaking around in the dark is harder when you can't see. It was just a thought. I like the fact that a tactical choice is required.
    Human rogues can't see in the dark either.

Any time you go up one hid dice, the average increase is only going to be one point.
    The average roll of a d4 = 2.5
    The average roll of a d6 = 3.5
    The average roll of a d8 = 4.5
    The average roll of a d10 = 5.5
    The average roll of a d12 = 6.5
    A net increase on average of one point at each die size increase from d4-d12.
    Maybe it's just me having an outrageous lack of luck, but generally I consider adding an average superior to adding a die. For instance, if there would be a Metamagic Feat that would increase the spell slot by 1, and make the damage of the spell always be average, yes, even if rounded down, I would use it on ALL my spells.

Then I'm guessing that a template addition would do the same
    Yes. No loopholes.

No doubt. I'm just used to DMing for guys that have math as an 8th language. I usually end up being the group calcualtor.
    In my opinion, ability formulas and usage should be as simple as possible, but mechanical balance > players rolling a couple extra dice.

It's like when I introduced that martial ability Jousting (if you move before landing an attack as a standard action on an opponent, you deal 5% more damage for every 5 feet of movement, capped at 100%. Damage is rounded up). It was critiqued for being overly complicated to calculate, but there wasn't any change pertinent enough to not drastically depower it via simplification.

Belive me, I like ability. Abilities that can have "unforeseen" consequences are fun for mixing things up.
    It could also be a great way to get an adventuring party started.
    It's also useful with your current party, if unexpected stuff happens.

For instance, say you are all sleeping at a tavern, in different rooms. Some assassin sent after you decides to finish you off one at a time, and decides to start with your room. Now a normal humanoid would just shut up and die, but as a Trueblooded, you can just go "OH MY GOD IT HURTS SWEET JESUS SOMEBODY SAVE ME WHY GOD WHY?!!" and the rest of the party will probably wake up and save you.

Just personal experience. Anytime I've ever played a PC (in multiple groups over the years) with an ability that enduces fatigue, I've ended up getting hammered after actually using it.
    Mechanically it makes sense as he is giving up his personal energy to accomplish the effect.
    But, IS the damage balanced or not? I wanna know.