1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Default My attempts at recalibrating the MM2 beasties

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187046

After some feeback from another thread, I came to the conclusion that my efforts were better served in a separate thread, where it would not clutter up the original discussion.

By now, it would be no small secret that many of the monsters in MM2, while fun from a flavour/coolness perspective, were not assigned appropriate crs. In light of new insight gleaned in 3.5, we noticed a few common trends which we will try to work around. The goal is to have their crs serve as more accurate indicators of how challenging they should be in combat, and maybe iron out a few kinks along the way.

1) Higher lv monsters tend to be given tons of weak SLAs they will never find a reason to use in combat, yet this counts towards their cr.
    2) Monsters with a ton of HD, but poor defenses (eg: no dr/sr/weak saves) and attacks (few attacks, low damage), making them little more than a speed bump.
    3) Asymmetrical design. For example, the teratomorph has 28HD, but only a single attack with extremely variable effects. Or a monster may have a very powerful ability that merits a certain cr, but its stats are too weak for a monster of that cr (eg: the phoenix).

I am not going to take the trouble of redesigning each monster from the core up. For most part, I feel that many of the MM2 monsters are still usable as is. Some just need a change in cr, others a bit of restatting, and a few need more drastic makeovers (but we will address this when we get there).

Second, I am not addressing them in order, nor will I likely touch on each and every one. If any wish to contribute, by all means feel free in any way you deem fit. Your feedback would also be much appreciated.
    Last edited by Runestar; 2011-09-17 at 06:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    I can never understand WOTC's reasoning; taking RAW as a whole is like grabbing a book filled with fortune cookie sayings and basing your life off of them.
    My humble efforts at re-cr'ing MM2
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215727