View Single Post

Thread: Lands of the Barbarian Kings

1. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [PF] Lands of the Barbarian Kings

I think Barbarian Kings is more of a second attempt at Ancient Lands, but this time with a stronger focus on the themes I really wanted to capture from the very beginning. With Ancient Lands, I somehow started to throw in all kind of stuff that didn't really belong to the core concept. With Barbarian Kings, I went back to the point where I think I was still spot on and start again from there.

One major point is that with Ancient Lands, I pretty much ended up with creating a new d20 game that is customized for the setting, but I think I really want to go through all that work. The rules system is not a very important thing for me when I run a campaign and I want the setting to be able to stand on its own without a specific RPG system to back it up. So now I write things as I think they should be, and then give it a second thought on how to represent that with the Pathfinder rules.
    E6 is a very interesting idea, but I think it's not really neccessary for what I have in mind. In the 12 years or so that I have been running campaigns, only two have ever passed 8th level, one was one of my very first and the other was a mid-to-high-level premade adventure. So I never have the problem of PCs reaching the ceiling of individual power that I have in mind for a heroic fantasy campaign so E6 never really becomes relevant for the players. And if I want to limit the power of the NPCs that inhabit the world, I can simply say "No character has ever gained enough XP to reach 11th level" and that's it. If I run a dozen campaigns and maybe in one I'll ever end up with 6th level characters that have 2 Epic Feats, I don't think it's worth to go through all the effort of comming up with ways to have the pccasional 5th level spell or powerful magic item in the world.

Now that I have a huge load of work off my shoulders, I'll soon be posting new stuff here. I've actually started on developing some ideas over the weekend.
    Last edited by Yora; 2011-10-03 at 05:27 AM.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying