View Single Post

Thread: Uttercold Overlord(3.5 Base Class)

1. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Lord of the Uttercold(3.5 Base Class)

First off just a simple suggestion. Could you change the name "cough" http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...=195580&page=2 "cough"

Also what is the balancing point for this class? Its very very very strong and I would say that it is pretty op at this point unless you are aiming for something stronger than wizard (Some people do)

Comments:

I would suggest to nerf negativity so that it only paralyzes someone for 1d4 rounds. Also make it work like a normal gaze attack (free action 1/round on your turn) an immediate action that is basically a save or die? At 4th level? A bit strong.

All the bonus feats: Remove some of them. He gains WAAAY to many. 8 or so bonus feats is approaching fighter amount of feats. And this guy gets good feats and spellcasting.

Master: This ability is decent expect when combined with I am your leader (see below)

This is uttercold: Way too powerful. This is better than a + 4 metamagic (Twin) for free. At 8th level. You are dealing with a fireball 16d6 damage at this level which heals your minions for half. That will one shot encounters. Remove this ability or make it so that the Lord of the Uttercold feat doesn't increase cast time on your spells.

Surround: This is the worst ability in the entire class IMO. It prevents him from having allies. If this is solely a bbeg class than its interesting. But for a player they can't do anything. Allow it to be suppressed and also don't increase the damage. It gives him free fast healing and damage to enemies, it doesn't need to be buffed.

I am your leader: Okay the second best epic feat at level 10. That needs to go to maintain balance. To give you an example.

Lesser Aismir With 18 Charisma.
    Feats: Undead Leadership + Improved Cohort + Improved Followers + landlord
    Items: + 6 Charisma, + Strongheart Vest (+ 5 Leadership I think I have the name wrong)
    Charisma: 28 (+9)
    Leadership Score: 10 (HD) + 2 (Undead Leadership) + 9 (Charisma) + 2 (Feats) + 2 (Stronghold) + 4 (Random fluff Leadership bonuses) + 5 (Vest) + 7 (Bab Bonus) = 41 Leadership
    That gives you 4 level 8's 2 Level 9's and a Level 10 follower. + The cohort. You now have an entire party. Also leadership scales rapidly once you get above 40.

One thing i did with my own lord of the uttercold (see link above) was that the progression was halved above 20. Also remove the bab bonus. Leadership stacking is easy enough as it is.

That hurt: You made your unit immune to cold... they won't get healed by it because they are immune to it...

Join Us: Does this ability still take onyx? Does it still have a cap? A bit vague.

Frostball: The ability to use a 3rd level spell. This is really unimpressive. At 14th level

Its alive: Okay think this through. You are supposed to be weaker than monsters of your CR + 1. You can create monsters that are cr you + 3. Make it duplicate either create undead or create greater undead for free and let you auto rebuke it for free as long as its under your cr - 3. That would balance it.

Resist This: Even if you kept scaling the damage 5d6 damage is not really going to hurt anyone at 18th level.

Transcendence: A pretty good capstone. Better than the Dread Necroamncer's but their lich should have unholy toughness too. Does the Lord of the Uttercold (Pending name change :P) have to do the ritual or does he just become a lich instantly.
    Last edited by Silva Stormrage; 2011-10-06 at 11:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazuki View Post
    ...Silva, you are a scary person.
    Awesome Avatar by Derjuin

My Homebrew: Here
    The Necromantic Codex: A collection of necromancy classes, items and monsters.