Continuing my plan to post what I think to be the highlights of every season of Doctor Who, old and new.

For each series I'll try to choose 2, maybe 3 of what I consider to be the best stories, which may comprise any number of actual episodes (somewhere between 1-14, typically 4 or 6). Older Who is nearly always episodic, with NuWho most episodes are self-contained. Feel free to expand on my brief comments, agree, disagree etc. This is, after all, purely subjective.

First Doctor

Second Doctor

Colour, a new Doctor, and a new feel to the program. It must be...

Season Seven (1970)
Third Doctor/Liz

Spearhead From Space – Just the change from the previous season is striking. Colour, and this one recorded all on film, with a more mature feel to the script. Some classic auton moments too as they assail the high street, and it explains where the Third Doctor gets his style from.

Doctor Who And The Silurians – Unfortunately, every Silurian story after this one has pretty much followed the same plot. Perhaps not the best Who, but not bad for this season which, too be honest, is a bit worthy and dull.

Honourable Mentions
The Ambassadors Of Death – starts well, with some good atmosphere and mystery, aided by some creepy incidental music. Gets a bit bogged down going in and out of the same cellar, and I can’t remember what the point of it all was.