Well, she hasn't exactly gotten much use out of her exercise-wear, so I guess it's Ok...

Also, since some people wonder why I'm updating this while I should be updating Moemon, since I've been working on the chapter since monday...
Sometimes you can get one project to work with you when others don't. And you will tear your hair out about it, but there you go. I'm still working on Moemon, just really frustrated. Nothing's feeling right.

Chapter 17: All You Need is Love. Jumbo-Sized Love.

Spoiler
Show
Billy finished Norman's portrait, late as it was, and we placed it over his grave. I worry about it, a little.

And later in the evening, after many of the events of this story have passed, he even comes out, seemingly just to see it -- he doesn't do anything else but look at it and return to his rest. I do hope it means he's pleased.

But, earlier, Evanthe decides to invite over the young man who charmed her at the dance: Ross. I've already mentioned he's no stranger to this house -- he was a classmate of Aster's for a while, then aged up, and now she's caught up with him again. Still, this is the first time he's been here without a crowd. He's not an unattractive young fellow.

And it appears that their earlier encounter wasn't just a dance-time fluke; they hit it off and flirt and sit at the fire pit for most of the day (well, once I come by and cough for them to do their homework.

Not that they're the only romantic couple in the house...
"Awww, aren't they sweet?"
"Hmm...That gives me an idea... Hey, Uriel?"
"What is it now, Billy?"
"I need your help for something. It's for Ariel."
"...Hmm...On the one hand, I don't like helping you..."
"What sort of guardian angel are you?"
"But on the other hand... I do like seeing Ariel happy. Alright, I'm in."
Oooh, is someone (by which I mean me) getting a surprise from two of my favorite entities? ...Well, I can maybe listen in and still act surprised, right?
Of course, whatever Billy's plan is, it involves going to the store. I'll have to find out later.

"Listen Ross, I'm really, really tired. I am going to fall over if I don't let you go so I can go to bed in a minute."
"Well, 'Vanthe, I could just go home..."
"No, No. I wanted... Well, I wanted to ask you... If we could go steady?"
Of course. I'd really like that; you're like no other sim I've met."
"That's sorta because she's not really a --"
("Stow it, Mr. Uriel.")
"Fine, Fine... It's not like people outside this family can hear me anyway."
"...I mean, Great! Well, best be heading to bed. See you later, honey."

"And, with a young man in orbit, we can count this as a success!"

I don't know if this has anything to do with my surprise-that-I-know-about, but Billy's been playing his guitar in the park recently. He gets decent tips, too.

And I have taken to inviting any new coworkers I find over in order to become better friends. "It's important for one to be as friends with as many people as possible, particularly if you spend a lot of time working with them."
"And you get more promotions by sucking up, too."
...I wish sometimes he'd put things in less mercenary terms sometimes.
I am, though, very good at befriending my coworkers: in the course of the single day, I can get one up to best friend.

While a pillow's not quite a flaming sword, it is a weapon of the divine. I approach my quarry with the calm of righteous ones, Tee-Hee.

"Grrrr! Sky, you keep making me get left behind! I will smash you, puny heavens!"
"Awww... She's really so cute that I'm not angry at all about her being out after curfew this once."
"Sweets, your definition of cute worries me sometimes. Then again, I'm sure it's part of why you think I'm cute..."
"Could be."

In more somber news, some of the fish Norman left behind are passing on; Evanthe looks so sad, flushing them.

But the night closes on happy news: Aster uses the new addition to the house, the computer, to purchase her property and business.
"Romper Recreational, Huh? I'll get to work remodeling it right a --"
"No you won't! It's mine, so I want to do it!"
"You? Whatever you say, Princess. What do you --"
"Not now, silly.... When I'm an architect, like Dad."
"What?"
"Well, Ok, like dad pretends to be. But he's reached level 6 just by painting, and... Well, all those people going around with those poorly-designed houses... Not one of them travels by slide! Not a one!"
"Isn't that because no one.."
"Oh, they say it's because slides aren't a stair-type item in build mode, but that's just from lack of effort! I'll change the way housing is done, you'll see!"
"...Whatever works for you, then."
"Thanks, Uriel!"
"Anything for our little princess."

And the good news keeps coming: I finally get the opportunity that will allow me to plant cheese and egg plants. This means I only need three more plants, instead of a full five!
...We sure are lucky I've been hoarding fruit in my pocket like some sort of deranged squirrel, and thus didn't have to wait, aren't we?
"Hey, sweetheart! Let's go celebrate. Come with me, I've got it all figured out."
"Ooh, is that surprise you were working out for me?"
I cover my hands with my mouth. "Oh, dear. I wasn't supposed to let on that I knew, was I? I'm so sorry!"
"...It's ok. You're not a good enough liar to keep it hidden."

He takes me to a park and we have lunch there, talking and laughing about this and that. We spend so much time in that crowded house that time with just the two of us feels special and rare.

"And a little nectar to finish the meal. I picked this up specially, so I hope you like it."
"Ooh, it's all bubbly! Is this the --?"
"Are you going analyze everything I do all day for the surprise?"
"...Well, may... Ok, Ok, I'll stop."
"Good, because we aint done yet."

He takes my by the hand and leads me for a while, to a beautiful field. Butterflies flit around us,
and flowers bloom like mad in bright pinks and whites -- it's like a symphony on the eyes.
I stand there with my breath taken away.
"Ok, yeah, this is sort of the surprise. I found it on an old town map..."
He explains. He looks uneasy.
"Goodness sakes, woman! D-don't just stand there!....Ok, that came out wrong. But...What do you think?"
"Oh...I love it. It's absolutely beautiful."
"One more thing..."
He takes out a guitar and begins to play.

And the music weaves itself into the evening, as he plays a sweet song only I will hear. Time seems to move so quickly that it's positively unfair.

Eventually, feeling worn out, we head home, for a round of small gifts: another bouquet of white roses, and a firework he sets out on the front lawn. We stare at it for just a minute, before going inside...

To make our own fireworks, so to speak.
"I love you." I whisper to him, tears dotting the corner of my eyes as I at last admit defeat: for whatever pain it'll do me later, I can't keep pretending something other than my feelings.
"I love you so much."

"...For some reason, I was expecting a bigger net gain for Team Uriel out of that. What was I thinking?"
"Oh, Uriel. I wanted to say thank you so much, for helping Billy with today. It means a lot to me that you're willing to put your grudge aside, if only for my sake."
"...Think nothing of it. Your thanks is reward enough."

Oh, and I wanted, for the sake of a complete sense of our house, to say a little something about Elaine. While there's no great love of her life, she seems happy: she spends a lot of time just playing around, sometimes joined by the ghost of her father. She tells me she's happy, especially since her life has the pleasure of being a quiet one.

For the next day, Billy spends it in an inspired passion, playing guitar for hours on end. In fact, just as midnight begins to turn, he masters the art:

He has completed his lifetime wish.

Ariel Seraphim
Spoiler
Show

Lifetime Wish: The Perfect Garden
Career: Business
Supermax Skill: Gardening (Maxxed, 2/3 Challenges)
Building, Property: Divisario Budget Books, Lost Willow Park
LTR: Super Green Thumb, No Bills Ever, Collection Helper
Best Friends: Billy (Caspian) Seraphim, Elaine Joy, Aster Seraphim, Laurel Grisby, Fatima Simovitch, Tom Shallow, Larry Cooper, Anita and Carlotta Lobos, Constance Shelly, Chandra Jacobsin
Black Ops: Amateur Olympics, Making Coffee the Executive Way, Seeking More Favorable Taxes, Making Nice with the Newsies, Political Influence, Uncommonly Good
Portraits: YA, Adult
Sculptures/Photos: Adult (Sculp)

Aster Seraphim
Spoiler
Show
Lifetime Wish: Living in the Lap of Luxury
Career: Architect
Supermax Skill: Painting
Building, Property: Hogan's Deep-Fried Diner, Romper Recreational Park
LTR: Observant, Attractive, Extra Creative
Best Friends: Ariel Seraphim, Reed Joy, Evanthe Seraphim
Black Ops: When Dream Come True, Scavenger Hunt: Rare Elements, A fishy science project, Outside Reading
Portraits: Toddler, Child, Teenager
Sculptures/Photos: Child (sculp), Teen (sculp)