Quote Originally Posted by zagan View Post
Okay, it's your first homebrew so I'll try to not be too harsh. (plus you make me discover "standard action")

Prereq: Asking for an average of ability is unique I'll give you that but I don't see the need. In addition ability score rarelly factored in Prc prereq because you don't always control them.
Well, I didn't know if it should be based on DEX or CHA so I just put the average of both. And I like the way that, if you had really bad DEX, but great CHA, you could still do it because the CHA makes up for the DEX, or visa versa.

Table: The code for the table can be found here or you can use that site.

Second your Bab and save are weird, they normally follow precise formula. Bab is either 1/2, 3/4 or equal to class level. And Save are either 1/3 or 2+1/2 class level.

Your missing the class Hit dice.
I originally wrote the table in HTML code, which I am fairly familiar with. When I discovered this didn't work, I used an internet converter which said it converted HTML to a code used of forums. Apparently, though, this was not the case.

As for BAB, I gave the Mime 3/4 of the level for the first few, saw the pattern, and just continued the pattern. In retrospect, I really should have checked all the way.

Problem is, I really didn't know what to do for BAB or saves. This class didn't have anything to give it particularly good or particularly bad of any of them, so I just gave them something inbetween high saves and low saves and hoped. What do you think I should do for HD, BAB, or saves? I asked somebody else, and they said look at an existing class that is similar to mine. But I couldn't think of anything that was similar!

proficiency: does it mean that they lose any proficiency they have before ? Can they mime exotic weapon and use them ?
Details for this are given in the Mime section and the Oath section. At higher levels they can mime exotic weapons, but as it says in the Oath, they cannot use anything now, they must mime it. So they lose all ability to use an exotic weapon until they can mime it. Once they can mime it, though, they can mime any exotic weapon they want at any time.
Should this be phrased more clearly?

Spells: That's way too short. Look in the Dmg or the Srd to see the standard format used to progress spellcasting.
If the Mime class had any details about spells, then it would be much too short. But this is just saying that they should continue with spellcasting from a previous class, if any. All details would be in their previous class, Mime changes nothing, only that don't get new spells every level.

Skills: You give a skill list but no skill points.
Oops. Um, how many skill points per level would you recommend? As I said before, I don't really know what to compare this to.

Mime: Lot of problem there.
-You should give example of DC for each type of item or creature.
-Need more detail about the item create. It is visible ? can it be destroyed , Can you create item of any size ? How long do they last (this is important) ? Can other creature use them ? If you create a creature does it obey you ? Do any item dissapear if you go to far from it ? can you create multiple item at the same times ? If you create an inteligent creature, can it come with class level ?
You need to put limit and guidline on that.
I'll go edit that as soon as I've posted this.

Damage reduction: That's original. How can an opponent know that he can mime a weapon ?
This was supposed to be like when, in the video, Fernando drew a Mime weapon against the Mime. I suppose the DM would tell them they could?

Spell resistance: Okay why not.

Oath: okay, flavorfull at least. Maybe add the need for an atonment spell too. Do you broke the oath if a foe use dominate person on you and force you to speak ?
Yes you do. I want speaking to be the main weakness of the Mimes, and a lot easier to do than falling like a paladin is. However, that also means it should be easier to regain Mimehood, so I don't want to add anything else to this that would make it harder.

painted face: Flavorfull but need a mechanical impact. Penalty on disguise check perhaps.
Well, I never intended this to have any importance other than fluff. I just didn't know anywhere else to put it other than there. Is that place just for mechanics stuff?

Mime curse: That need more detail and is way too powerfull. You need to stat if the creature get a save to avoid the curse, what sort of control the mime can have on the cursed creature ? how many cursed creature can it control (based on Hit dice like turn undead coul work) ? Does the curse limit a creature action (only mime ability or anything) ? If speaking broke the curse what's stopping the creature from speaking immediatly to get free ?
Hmm, there are quite a lot of problems here that I hadn't thought of. I'll edit all this after I've finished this post.

Master mime: Yeah, lack detail too. What do you need to do to redeem a circus freak ?
Nothing much, the whole point was supposed to be the pilgrimage of seeking them out when you have lost all your power, rather than doing anything when you get there. It's basically just remaking your Oath with them there.

For a first try it's not too bad, but it need lot of work. that said I like the concept.
Thanks so much for all the feedback.

In addition, how is this, balance-wise? When I told my brother about this prestige class, who is very good at this sort of thing, he immediately said it was too overpowered, so I slowed down the Mimes, staggering the abilities a lot so he wouldn't get infinite power straight away. Does this work? Is it still balanced?