1. - Top - End - #837
    Orc in the Playground

Default Dr. Si's Old Who Recommendations

Wow, discussion really drops to nothing here when the Doctor isn't currently on TV. So, times for some more nostalgia.

Continuing my plan to post what I think to be the highlights of every season of Doctor Who, old and new.

For each series I'll try to choose 2, maybe 3 of what I consider to be the best stories, which may comprise any number of actual episodes (somewhere between 1-14, typically 4 or 6). Older Who is nearly always episodic, with NuWho most episodes are self-contained. Feel free to expand on my brief comments, agree, disagree etc. This is, after all, purely subjective.

First Doctor

Second Doctor

Third Doctor

Season Nine (1972)
    Third Doctor/Jo

This season is really the first of those featuring the Third Doctor where the action moves away from Earth and off to alien worlds again, and in this it is only partly successful. It has to be said, though, that the Doctor's Earth-bound situation does begin to get claustrophobic and so it is nice to feel the Whoniverse starting to open out again. Also, excellent though Roger Delgado is, it's also refreshing to get some stories without the Master.

The Curse of Peladon – Overtones of a gothic whodunnit, with the mediaeval castle wreathed in storm and prowling monsters. The alien ambassadors are fun, particularly the ridiculous Alpha Centauri, and the story isn’t too predictable. Much better than the return visit.

The Sea Devils – Features one of the Master’s classic scenes (with the Clangers). Some good location filming courtesy of the Royal Navy. Watch for where Katy Manning is replaced with an obviously male stunt double. The experimental electronic music is … an acquired taste, shall we say.

Honourable Mentions
    Hmm… quite a weak season, so difficult. Day Of The Daleks is probably marginally better than The Mutants for its Terminator-esque cause-and-effect storyline, but to be honest the whole season looks a bit cheap.
    Last edited by Dr. Simon; 2012-10-10 at 07:54 AM.
    The Lazy GM series. Lovingly crafted pre-gen monsters for Pathfinder and OGL d20 fantasy.