Quote Originally Posted by Kindablue View Post
Thanks!

Yeah, I had a lot of trouble with the way his face ended. Looking at the photo, its low quality makes that ear look a lot better than it actually is.

Every time I tried to shade his face it looked like he had a beard. Maybe I just wasn't shading light enough, though. I'll try the box method next time.
If you use sharp lines for shading then it looks like hair. Try a softer/lighter/smudgedier pencil.

Oh yeah, on that topic, everyone should have at least a H, 2B, 4B and 6B pencil for pencil drawing. The difference a range of tools makes over a common HB pencil is astounding.

Faces are really tricky in general, so especially in the early days, cheat. Draw lots and lots of construction lines. Sketch out your proportions clearly before you draw the picture. Draw bald people to get an idea for just how big the skull is. You're not going to be making great-looking pictures on your first try, so feel completely free to do basic parts in isolation - just practising eyes, or noses, or mouths - if it helps you get a better idea of how to do it.