1. - Top - End - #17
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5, Base] The Arbiter: Embodiment of Neutrality (PEACH)

Quote Originally Posted by TravelLog View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Here's a less thumbnaily version of that picture, although it's still kind of small. And this is just quibbling over formatting, but you really don't need to spoiler the image if it's non-screenbreaking.

BAB
    I'd just give them full BAB, for a good gishy chassis.

CLASS SKILLS (4 + Int mod per level, x4 at 1st level)
    *list*
    That's a pretty huge list of skills for 4+Int. I'd either bump it up to 6+Int or drop a few skills.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency:
    Just give them full martial weapon proficiency. It's not exactly a game-breaker.

Spells Per Day:
    Spoiler
    Show

[/table]
    This really needed a level sidebar, so I added one.

He knows all the spells from the Arbiter spell list of levels that he can cast and may cast the spells he knows without preparing them ahead of time.
    My first thought was "nooooooot good" (full spontaneous list casting is pretty great, especially when you have a really diverse spell list like the Arbiter), but looking at the progression, I think this is OK.

I would add in Eclectic Learning, though, so you can expand your spell list a bit.

Aura of Neutrality (Ex): As an exemplar of neutrality, an Arbiter at all times radiates an aura of neutrality. As a result, allies within 5 feet/Arbiter level of the arbiter gain a bonus to their AC and attack rolls equal to +1 per two Arbiter levels. As a part of his dedication to true neutrality, the arbiter has entered into a form of contract. If his alignment ever shifts such that it is no longer True Neutral, he loses all class features, and may not regain them until his alignment is True Neutral once again.
    Hmmm. This could use some more class features, and auras are severely underutilized in D&D (or rather, both classes that use them kind of suck). How about adding some more aura stuff, to take advantage of all of the effects that let you switch bonuses around?

At any rate, I'd add a cap to it (or level it up as the class goes, so you can get a more uneven spread to fill in dead levels). Constant untyped massive bonuses are a bit much.

Also, Code of Conduct stuff should really go in it's own section. I would also not make them lose class features, merely not allow them to progress any farther in the class. Less screwing over of players that way.

Friendly Arbitration (Ex):
    Nice buffing ability, although I'm a little leery of someone getting a bunch of 1st level Arbiters for some insane buffing. but that's stinky cheese, soooooo that's less of a concern.

Maybe bump it up a few levels, to spread out the class abilities?

Also, question: I'm assuming that "bonus" means "buffs" the Arbiter is under, but that does need some clarifying (if it means pluses in general, this needs some reworking and additional clarification added in). Probably needs language clarifying that you have to spread out all of your bonus, not just part of it (I'm assuming that was the intent, but it's kind of unclear, hence the language).

Shifting the Scales (Su):
    Noooot sure about this, although the standard action required to use it probably makes it okay.

The enemy is entitled to a Will save with a DC equal to (10+Arbiter’s Wisdom modifier+Arbiter levels).
    This needs changing, though. Standard would be 10+(1/2 class level)+Wis modifier, otherwise you get some pretty unbalanced saves.

In general, I think this and Friendly Arbitration need some more clarification as to exactly how they work and what you can do with them.

Shared Knowledge:
    Neat. Though I'm not sure how well this works in practice, as to get an effective use out of it, you need two party members specialized in the same skill.

Maaaaaaybe take a global -2 skill penalty to grant a +1 to any skill check an ally makes? Then up it at a later level up it to a straight -1 to +1 conversion.

Shared Resolve:
    Neat.

Improved Aura of Neutrality (Ex): Having grown in power, and found within themselves an unbreakable link to the Great Balance, a 6th level arbiter’s aura increases in strength and is now able to affect enemies. Enemies within 5 feet/Arbiter level of the arbiter take a -1 penalty to their AC and attack rolls, rounded down. Furthermore, the bonus to allies now affects damage rolls in addition to AC and attack rolls.
    -1 is kind of piddly, as it doesn't scale. I'd add in scaling, something like -1 for every 5 levels, or the aforementioned scaling by class to fill in the cursed dead levels.

This is especially potent, as you already get an automatic buff to allies, so you need to consider how the two interact.

Shoulder the Burden (Su):
    Needs an exact definition of what an "effect" is, unless you want Iron Heart Surge v. 2.0.

Except actually more ridiculous, because you could transfer the effect of "being dead" to an enemy, reviving a friend completely free as well.

(10+1.5x Wisdom modifier+Arbiter levels).
    Saves are kinda wonky again. This is a very, very good ability, so it doesn't need 1.5*Wis mod. I'd go with the tried and true 10+1/2 level+mod.

At 9th level this becomes a move action, and at 12th level a swift action.
    I'd lose the swift action. This is really, really good. Not quite too good, but if you use it, you should be losing a relatively significant part of your actions.

At 10th level, the Arbiter may shift a number of status effects equal to 1/3rd his Wisdom modifier. This can be in any combination of positive effects and negative effects among allies or enemies, though the enemies still are entitled to saving throws for each positive effect being taken from them and each negative effect being given them.
    I also would probably shift this up a couple of levels. Both to get it to a level where you can actually use 1/3 mod (you need a 22 Wis to get an use out of that), but also because this is seeming a little too bottom-loaded so far.

Bonus Feat (Ex):
    Hm. Not quite sure yet, but why not [Balance] feats? Those seem like they're going to be a thing in the compendium, and certainly fit.

Negation (Ex):
    Waaaaaaaaay too good. The action economy is sacred and should be treated like a live hand grenade (Bookworm from 20 minutes in the future: as I was reading over this review, I realized that I had inadvertently typed a sentence saying "chuck the action economy out the window fast", but I'm leaving it in, so nyeh) .

Once a day is probably fine. Definitely needs a save, though.

Greater Aura of Neutrality (Ex):
    Hm. Works, but see standard aura stuff above, etc.

Though a speed booster that only works for you while you're within a limited distance from an ally is kind of odd and not that useful.

A blanket "all aura effects on your allies persist for one turn after they leave the area" would probably be good.

Exarch of True Balance (Ex):
    Thank you for adding other stuff beyond "you turn into an Outsider". The most common and the most boring capstone in D&D (someone's going to jump in here with "Rogue 20", so shut your face future someone).

First, the Arbiter is forevermore treated as a Native Outsider with the [Neutral] subtype and gains all the benefits of such status.
    [Neutral] isn't a subtype. Although we could certainly make one for the compendium.

Finally, once per day, he may cause time to stop altogether, as the spell time stop, for a single round.
    I wouldn't even include this, just make it a full-round action for simplification.

During this round, the Arbiter may freely reallocate any and all numerical bonuses on the field to a number of points equal to 3x his Wisdom modifier. He may also shift any three status effects from any one participant in the battle to another, with no save, though he may not shift the dead or unconsciousness statuses. He may reposition any and all participants as he sees fit, as long as the total amount of distance, in feet, the participants are shifted (whether friend or foe) does not exceed 10x his Wisdom modifier. He may not use this ability to move participants vertically. Finally, the Arbiter may select any number of enemies and drain hit points from them such that the total amount of hit points fully heals one of the Arbiter’s allies. The total amount drained may not exceed the ally’s maximum hit points for any reason, and can be divided across any number of foes.
    All of these effects need a Will save from the enemies involved. Powerful no-save stuff is a no-no.

Uh. Might need some clarification along the lines of the other abilities I mentioned.

That's about it, really. Cool capstone. Let's you completely alter the field once a day.

0th level: Cantrips
    Uh. What does this mean? I know they're cantrips, but we still need an appropriate list, so it's not "every cantrip ever". You also probably want to add in some orisons, anyway.

---

Two things for general stuff:

1) You need to be very, very careful when presenting this class. The True Neutral jackass Druid of balance is an old archetype, and it is also almost invariably disliked, because it's the sort of thing that either ends up being stupid or ends up being the excuse for an ******* player to be an *******. It also needs attention and care paid to it's philosophy, so they don't come across as lunatic schizophrenics that no sane person would actually join.

This philosophy also needs to be playable. While it looks fun, the default fluff should never encourage you to backstab your Good friends because they're being too Good (i.e., no intraparty conflicts, which True Balance Neutral tends to cause). Thus, what exactly this class believes in needs kind of a reworking, unless you want to present an unplayable NPC class.

This kind of segues into the next thing:

2) I would remove the True Neutral alignment requirement, and replace it with "Must have a Neutral component in their alignment" (i.e., NG, NE, LN, CN, or TN). This serves two goals:

The first is playability. While having a class that must adhere to a set alignment can be fun (I love playing Paladins), it is also a gigantic pain in the ass in so many ways. You must adhere to a strict philosophy, and while I love playing Paladins, I am also constantly second-guessing myself to think if I did the LG thing, or at least what my DM perceives as being LG. If you stray outside of the precepts of your philosophy, boom, your powers are gone. This is just not fun, at all.

The second is the exact philosophy of the class. It is an incredibly tall order to live up to, more suited to mindless constructs than sentient beings. While there shouldn't be a "default" Arbiter order, almost any order that teaches such a philosophy is going to be somewhat forgiving by nature. As such, there are almost certainly Arbites who can't completely live up to the ideals of their organization, and such Arbites might have alignments somewhat off-line from TN.

This, of course, ultimately ties back into playability. Making it less of a "must be TN" class allows a wider band of character concepts, and allows for growth and development along the band instead of being locked in place.

2) TL;DR version: Makes the class more playable, adds more character options, both of those are good things.

Also: If there was any class that needed the section that usually follows class entries about how a class actually operates within the world, this is it.

So, anyway, in summation: Some of the abilities need some touching up, but I quite like what you have so far. I would rework a bit of the basic concept and philosophy of the class to make it more usable by players. I would loosen the alignment restriction to allow a broader band of concepts and avoid the constant "gotcha" any Paladin player keeps looking out for.

Otherwise, so far, so good.
    Last edited by Mr.Bookworm; 2011-11-04 at 01:39 AM.
    Awesome Cyborg Doom Monkey avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins. Offer up your robo-bananas to him.