1. - Top - End - #861
    Orc in the Playground

Default Dr. Si's Old Who Recommendations

Continuing my plan to post what I think to be the highlights of every season of Doctor Who, old and new.

For each series I choose 2 or 3 of what I consider to be the best stories, and a selection of also-rans. "Stories" may comprise any number of actual episodes (somewhere between 1-14, typically 4 or 6). Older Who is nearly always episodic, with NuWho most episodes are self-contained. Feel free to expand on my brief comments, agree, disagree etc. This is, after all, purely subjective.

First Doctor

Second Doctor

Third Doctor

Season Ten (1972-1973)
    Third Doctor/Jo

Hard to believe by the time you get to this point that the series has already been running ten years, hence the inclusion of the Three Doctors special. After the dip of last season, things pick up again for Pertwee's Doctor, now into his fourth year in the role.

Carnival Of Monsters – a piece of whimsy, really, but no worse for that. Leslie Dwyer's cynical showman Vorg is the best turn, but all the guests turn in nice performances. Okay, the monsters (drashigs and plesiosaur) aren’t very convincing, but it is Doctor Who.

Frontier In Space – a good, solid bit of space opera with a pleasingly sprawling storyline and convincing aliens. As with most Pertwee six-parters it feels a bit padded by endless escapes, captures and Venusian karate, but there are some great moments such as the prison colony on the Moon and some nice interaction between the Doctor and Jo.

Honourable Mentions
    The Three Doctors – good to see the Doctors interact, and some interesting Time Lord backstory, but it fails to fulfil its potential, coming across as a bit insubstantial (like Omega himself). Unusually for a Pertwee story, you wish this was a six-parter.

The Green Death – often cited as a fan favourite, and probably freaky if you don’t like maggots but for me there was never much sense of threat. Nice, for a change, though, to get a convincing build-up to a companion leaving.
    Last edited by Dr. Simon; 2012-10-10 at 07:56 AM.
    The Lazy GM series. Lovingly crafted pre-gen monsters for Pathfinder and OGL d20 fantasy.