Quote Originally Posted by Makiru View Post
The inphidians always kinda struck me as odd ducks in these books, like they were just there to fulfill the quota for "new low LA race" that these books like to have.
Personally, I'm fairly sure that they are meant to be Open Game Content alternatives to the yuan-ti.

Just two monsters this time in comparison to the six last time.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Niln
Also known as vapor horrors, the CR 5 nilns are water-air elemental hybrids from the Quasi-Elemental Plane of Vapor. They aren't really much more than summoning fodder, really; their ability to exude a fog cloud spell and a naturally gaseous body allow them to get the enemy's goat, and their drench ability makes fire-users useless. Add to that the statement that they serve those that summon them without requesting anything in return, and you can see exactly what they're for.

Nuckalavee
Have you ever read any Orcadian folklore? You haven't? Well, it's a shame, as this monster comes from that lore! A rather horrendous creature, the nuckalavee is akin to a centaur with its skin flayed off (and, according to some legends, a single cyclopean eye) and is a bearer of plague and horror. In its D&D incarnation here, the nuckalavee are said to be either cursed centaurs or demon-centaur hybrids, neither of which seems like a particularly pleasant story. As per its folkloric roots, the nuckalavee's fetid breath is a festering mess, acting as a breath weapon dealing loads of untyped damage. In addition, to push them further up into their listed Challenge Rating of 9, the horrific appearance of the nuckalavee's flayed body deals hefty Strength damage, and its hooves can trample foes beneath. Of course, being a folkloric monster, I heartily endorse this creature's presence. Still, I must wonder why it's typed as an Aberration when Orcadian lore classified them as a baffling but nonetheless faerie-type fey. Eh, I guess that's up to the designer.