1. - Top - End - #19
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Zen Psionics: Mastering the Meditant

Quote Originally Posted by deuxhero View Post
    Like your Vitalist handbook, "handbook" is good for the title.
    I did consider that; but in the end, what little artistry I possess made me want a more catchy title. I can still lure Google's spiders by cramming "Meditant Handbook" into the opening post anyway. (For all that it tries to correct to "Meditation Handbook.")

Quote Originally Posted by deuxhero View Post
    Warforged Psion entry seems like an interesting race choice if the DM prevents sleeping and meditating at the same time. Is there any fluff that suggests Warforged would have Chakaras?
    As a matter of fact, they do, and there is.

Spoiler
    Show

Simply combine this line:

A psionic character can find peace and harmony by continuously exploring the inner depths of solitude that meditation provides. The psychic energy centers awaken and the natural psionic forces from within the mind and body are released. With practice, a psionic character can harness and channel these raw psionic forces into positive effects.
    With this one:

The Psionic Subtype
    Any creature with psionic powers has the psionic subtype. A psionic creature can be born with the subtype or can gain the subtype during its life.

A creature meeting any one of the following criteria has the psionic subtype:

- Creatures with a power point reserve, including characters who have levels in a character class that grants them a power point reserve or creatures who have the Wild Talent feat.
    - Creatures with psi-like abilities, including characters who have racial psi-like abilities.
    - Creatures that have spell-like abilities described as “psionics.”

Warforged Psions would meet the first criterion; Psiforged would meet the second. Either way, they would be eligible to access their centers, with the necessary training represented by taking the feat.

In addition to Warforged, Elans are also a good choice; they explicitly sleep by meditating. From XPH 9:

Elans do not sleep as members of most other races do. Instead, an elan meditates in a deep trance for 4 hours a day. An elan resting in this fashion gains the same benefit that a human does from 8 hours of sleep.
    Psychic Meditation does not differentiate between meditating for rest and meditating to awaken your centers - it merely requires that the meditation be uninterrupted. Thus, Elans can double-dip, though doing so requires them to "sleep" for 8 hours instead of 4 if they want to regain their PP and awaken a center in the same night. (Though Inner Peace trims this down.)

I meant to add a section on Elans and Warforged to the main guide; I probably still should.

Does anyone remember which dragon magazine introduced the Synad? It might have their sleeping habits as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    You might want to give a brief mention of the Epic Progression for the Meditant. It's found in the Epic Insights archive. Unfortunately it looks like they based the progression off the 3.0 version of the prestige class instead of the 3.5 version.
    Those feats are indeed nice, but also not needed. Recall this line from the SRD:

Generally, any class feature that uses class level as part of a mathematical formula continues to increase using the character’s class level in the formula. Any prestige class feature that calculates a save DC using the class level should add only half the character’s class levels above 10th.
    Your activations use a mathematical formula (i.e. +2 every even level) and so Progressing Meditant even without the defunct epic progression will get you more of them, and therefore buffs that last all day.

On the plus side, however, the epic progression does give you more etherealness uses. In addition, Epic Inner Harmony will allow your Throat activation to last all night, long enough to get bonus PP from a higher ability score.

EPM is very nice for Third Eye's PP buff, but the rest are pretty underwhelming (especially Throat and Base: enhancement? Wtf?)
    Last edited by Psyren; 2011-12-08 at 09:23 PM.
    Sandharrow by Chris the Pontifex
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    First, please don't start threads with ideas you don't support just to see what reactions you get. That's almost the definition of trolling.

Second, the whole "blue text" thing is not a forum rule or even a recommended procedure. If someone wants to do it in their own posts, fine, but everyone should stop telling people that they "need to" or "should have" posted in blue just because they're being sarcastic/ironic/whatever.