Quote Originally Posted by Zorg View Post
Except, as Outcast Dead lays out, the Emperor already knew. A Thousand Sons also portrays Magnus' idea as wanting to prove that sorcery can be useful (and his being a puppet for Tzeentch the whole time after their deal).
Loads of people were telling the Emperor that Horus was bad. There's this one dude...Nathaniel Garro - the greatest Space Marine ever - he goes on a quest to tell the Emperor, and tells Dorn, who in turn tells Dad.

Rogal Dorn already told Dad that Horus had gone bad. Magnus was stupid doing it the way he did and he admitted it later on.

He only took the out offered by Tzeentch when he couldn't bear seeing his sons slaughtered anymore.
QFT. Magnus hates Tzeentch. The choice was simply "Join or die."

Note that at no point does he question "hey, maybe there's a reason dad never told me about this?", or go and ask the Emperor why he lied.
However in First Heretic, Magnus was as much help when Lorgar spoke to him. Magnus' response simply being "Calm down li'l buddy, you don't know what you're doing." And Lorgar storming away from Magnus.

In Aurelian, Lorgar seems...Not so angry at Magnus. Seeming to understand how bad Chaos is now that he's in it.

Compare the suddenness of Horus' heel turn to Magnus', which only comes at the very end of A Thosand Sons and isn't really a turn at all, or to Lorgar's which is very nuanced and spread across several books.
Fulgrim's Fall, is quite sudden. But the way in which it's told is...Wow. Far better than Horus'. Same with Alpharius'. Like Zorg, I feel that Horus' is the worst story of the lot.

If the first three books were subtitled "How Erebus ruined the Imperium from the ground level." and told that story, I'd reckon the first three 30K Novels would be great. But, instead, we see Horus have a dream and then decide to take down the Emperor.

It's not a lobotomy, and some of the background material says the Emperor was going to censure the World Eaters (and Night Lords) for their ever mroe extreme actions, but they rebelled first.
Curze was censured by Fulgrim and Dorn [The Dark King]. Actually being imprisoned on the Phalanx and being taken to Dad when he escapes the Phalanx (because he's the god-damn Batman!), nearly rips Dorn in half (Dorn wouldn't fight back), and heads back to Nostromo and when he gets there...Well that's history.

The faults of the 'modern' Imperium are mostly things the Emperor was against - his worship, superstition, dogma. In Outcast Dead an Astropath has visions of the 40k universe, and is so horrified by what he sees compared to waht they're working towards, he kills himself.
The 40K Imperium is run exactly the way Lorgar and Curze said it would be. Curze is a scary dude, when you get right down to it. Mostly because his political philosophy works so well. I could cite some real-world examples (current, even, scarily enough), but I like it here.

That aforementioned event scars Dorn for life. Curze now being the only thing in the Universe that Dorn fears. Not because Curze nearly killed him, but because Dorn figures out what Curze is fighting for, and how many steps it would take for Dorn to become like Curze.

But, then again, Dorn is the 40K equivalent of a Paladin, but he still considers Curze's standpoint. And, I suppose if you're Dorn, the only thing in the galaxy you would be afraid of is Curze, who is the Anti-Dorn (not Horus).