Quote Originally Posted by Bakuel View Post
A related pony art pic.

Spoiler
Show
I was looking on the internet early today for a picture of Derpy using a wacom tablet to go with my comment on not trusting my judgement on sizes, due to her eyes and all.
I couldn't find one so I made my own.
It's a simple picture, so I used it to practice colors. I tried following Dispozition's advice in this thread on using other colors for shading instead of just black all the time. It may seem like a simple picture, and it is, but I'm a little bit happier with the basic shading result. It has a less harsher style then simply black. I'll try using it again.

Derpy's anatomy is off, but I was going for the chibi look. Yeah, that's my story and I'm sticking with it. I seem to love drawing stylistic fluffy clouds.
This is actually showing up as a broken link for me. I'm not sure why...

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Mirrsen View Post
Various events prevented me from drawing at all for the past few days, so I'm trying to do at least something to keep my momentum and get back on course.

These aren't much to look at, but since I'm not averse to post random unfinished stuff I do, have them anyway:
Spoiler
Show

Their only significance, besides being the only things I managed to draw for the last five days (well, I still have time today, so maybe not the only things), is that I've drawn them in Corel Painter 12 rather than Photoshop that I've used lately. I find Painter good for sketches, but as soon as I try to use any of the usual methods for digital drawing, it ends up being a kludge for some reason. I never quite understood why it keeps giving me so much trouble. At least this latest incarnation works flawlessly with my tablet, unlike the previous one. Lack of middle-click scrolling annoys me to no end though.

Also, on the second image, can anyone give me good pointers on properly conveying dynamics in poses? The few things I read on the matter didn't give me quite enough insights to prevent characters from appearing static.
I am stupidly fond of ponies with clockwork/steampunk wings. I don't even know why...

Anyway, the only thing I can think of, dynamism-wise is that you might consider having Rainbow's (is it Rainbow?) legs splayed out more, to capture more of the feel of a pony mid-sprint. With the legs under the body, it looks more like a walking pace, even if it is a snapshot mid-run.

Aaaand now for something from me! It's not pony-related, but it took me long enough, and I need to post something... Anyway, the purpose of this exercise was to explore shapes and negative space, so I drew a chair in 3/4 view, representing the negative space, rather than all the detailed chair lines.
Spoiler
Show

Some things I learned:
- It's important to pick your unit of measure early; I used the back curve of the seat as mine, and in order to get things looking passable I spent a lot of time measuring against it
- It's surprisingly easy to be fooled by your eyes. This is actually why I made rough measurements as I went along - to make sure the curves ended where I thought they ended and that things were remotely in proportion
- Negative space drawing look very different from the object until they're almost done. Yet another reason to make measurements!

Hopefully some actual pony stuff will follow soon-ish.