View Single Post

Thread: Ponythread Learns to Draw! Together!

1. - Top - End - #339
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Ponythread Learns to Draw! Together!

Quote Originally Posted by Dispozition View Post
    A lot of it is in the brushes if you're going for pure realism. My eventual goal is to be doing clouds like Makoto Shinkai does. (warning, pic is a big one)
    *snip*
    Although probably a bit 'scrappier' to fit with the Licheus style that I'm also gunning for...Eventually. Right now I'm just trying to pin down a style in general...But that's off topic to the clouds!

A lot of realistic clouds is in the brushes and the amount of detail work you do to them. The ones in my picture are three layers, one brush, and 4 or 5 colours. If I wanted them to look a lot better, I'd use two or three brushes, probably still three layers, and way more colours. I'd also spend more than 10 minutes them.
    I'll try that. Thanks for the tip!
    I like fluffy abstract curly clouds. But sometimes I would like a more realistic feel for some pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    This is actually showing up as a broken link for me. I'm not sure why...
    Heh, first the forum eats my post and regurgitates it later, then a few days later someone points out the link was broken the whole time.
    I fixed it. At least I think.

I am stupidly fond of ponies with clockwork/steampunk wings. I don't even know why...

Anyway, the only thing I can think of, dynamism-wise is that you might consider having Rainbow's (is it Rainbow?) legs splayed out more, to capture more of the feel of a pony mid-sprint. With the legs under the body, it looks more like a walking pace, even if it is a snapshot mid-run.
    I agree with the druid droid. As a general rule, the more stable the pose, the more static or slow moving it appears to the viewer. For running horses and ponies, it's generally best to make the legs either splayed forward or tucked in underneath the stomach area.
    The drawing is great, of course! But I don't think you needed me to tell you that. Is it from a certain story?

Aaaand now for something from me! It's not pony-related, but it took me long enough, and I need to post something... Anyway, the purpose of this exercise was to explore shapes and negative space, so I drew a chair in 3/4 view, representing the negative space, rather than all the detailed chair lines.
    Spoiler
    Show
    *snip*
    Some things I learned:
    - It's important to pick your unit of measure early; I used the back curve of the seat as mine, and in order to get things looking passable I spent a lot of time measuring against it
    - It's surprisingly easy to be fooled by your eyes. This is actually why I made rough measurements as I went along - to make sure the curves ended where I thought they ended and that things were remotely in proportion
    - Negative space drawing look very different from the object until they're almost done. Yet another reason to make measurements!

Hopefully some actual pony stuff will follow soon-ish.
    Negative space?
    I'm going to have to try that exercise one day.
    Last edited by Bakuel; 2011-12-15 at 12:06 AM.