Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
I am stupidly fond of ponies with clockwork/steampunk wings. I don't even know why...
Well, it's neither in this case, although "magitek", which it is, could reasonably fit under either. And I'm pretty sure I like them because I like machines in general. Especially implausibly complex ones.

Anyway, the only thing I can think of, dynamism-wise is that you might consider having Rainbow's (is it Rainbow?) legs splayed out more, to capture more of the feel of a pony mid-sprint. With the legs under the body, it looks more like a walking pace, even if it is a snapshot mid-run.
Hmm... yeah, I sort of thought about that too, but thing is, in this case it's supposed to be the "end" of a motion, like one of those stereotypical ninja slashes. I guess I just need to experiment with the pose, but it's kinda hard to do when you're not working with vectors.

As to whether or not that's Rainbow... ho, now dot's an interestin' metzaphysical qvestion, to quote a certain Jägermonster. Well, she is, and she isn't. So far my favorite nickname for her was Rainbow Slash.

Aaaand now for something from me! It's not pony-related, but it took me long enough, and I need to post something... Anyway, the purpose of this exercise was to explore shapes and negative space, so I drew a chair in 3/4 view, representing the negative space, rather than all the detailed chair lines.
Spoiler
Show

Some things I learned:
- It's important to pick your unit of measure early; I used the back curve of the seat as mine, and in order to get things looking passable I spent a lot of time measuring against it
- It's surprisingly easy to be fooled by your eyes. This is actually why I made rough measurements as I went along - to make sure the curves ended where I thought they ended and that things were remotely in proportion
- Negative space drawing look very different from the object until they're almost done. Yet another reason to make measurements!
Hmm, that's an interesting exercise. I should try that sometime - I usually depend heavily on details and structure to form the object's shape. Thankfully, there's a mighty overabundance of chairs visible from where I'm sitting.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakuel View Post
I agree with the druid droid. As a general rule, the more stable the pose, the more static or slow moving it appears to the viewer. For running horses and ponies, it's generally best to make the legs either splayed forward or tucked in underneath the stomach area.
Quadrupeds in general are kinda hard to convey motion for, because they never seem out of balance unless most of their legs are off the ground. In this case it's even harder, but I'll experiment.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakuel View Post
The drawing is great, of course! But I don't think you needed me to tell you that. Is it from a certain story?
Actually, while I don't need being told when something is great, I always need being told when something is wrong, and I appreciate feedback in general. So, thanks!

And whether or not it's from a story is an equally interesting "metzaphysical qvestion". It is from a story, but that story hasn't been written yet, so...

Oh, and I switched from Painter back to Photoshop yesterday to give Rainbow her colors back:
Spoiler
Show

Yeah, it looks even more static when cleaned up. I'll have to think about using motion blur and light streaks to convey that for the final image... assuming I even get to that stage this time. I'm not too happy with the shading here either, and the tail's a little too much of a mess (not to mention I just cut it off like that).