Quote Originally Posted by Bakuel View Post
I looked up that system, it sounds very simple and interesting. I'll have to find a forum and see how a game develops. It's odd, I don't play role playing games, but I like seeing how they work out, the game systems, rules, how much is predetermined by the GM, how much isn't .etc.
I don't really like plugging my own works (especially those that have essentially died due to neglect on my part), but if you want a good example of an RTD, see here. That's my first Multiworld Madness game. Fair warning - it's six thousand posts long. Didn't quite make it for an "over nine thousand" joke...

Also, until now, I never thought about it, but Rainbow Dash would probably make a rather flawed pilot or car driver. Not so much on the reflexes or anything that, she would be awesome, but in the fact that she tries to push herself beyond her limits. Through insane stunts, speed or what have you. However, if you push a machine beyond it's limits, it doesn't crash, but become stronger. It just breaks. And I don't think Rainbow Dash has the say, more engineering, or scientific thinking to build a better jet/car/ or mech.
Of course, these mechs are powered by Magic and Friendship so the above reasoning need not apply.
No, it does indeed apply. This was the reasoning behind giving RD the most high-performance machine of the six (Pinkie's being a close second for entirely unrelated reasons). It's a little bit like the Tallgeese, if you've seen Gundam Wing. Its upper stress limit exceeds that of the pilot - it'll more often crash due to the pilot losing control than mechanical failure. For a machine with a superweapon based off going so fast that the system that allows it to go so fast in the first place starts to overload, it was pretty much a requirement.

Must not make reference to overused meme about the pose and point of view of this picture and certain anatomical features shown in it...
I must say, I'm surprised you didn't give the mech she's slapping sunglasses...
Oh I like the idea of Rarity being a medic, transposing her skill with clothing materials onto skill with mechs. I would never have thought of that!
Heh. The first caption that I thought up from looking at it was "Bite my spectacular silver ass!"... that reminds me, I haven't seen an episode of Futurama ever since they went on that hiatus... what's happened to it?

As for glasses, I was trying to remember what a Shadowbolt looks like, without reference. As far as I could remember, they more or less had full face masks rather than separable glasses, so I went with that. Also, if it did have glasses, they would not survive this hit.

Annoying tad bit, the mech she's slapping's head is level with the floor, it would look more forceful if it was tilted upwards, possibly just a tad maybe more. As it is now, the actionlines of the tail are going from the bottom up in a uppercutting motion, and it looks like his head is slightly going from left to right in a forceful manner. Which is good as the tail is going left, then back right, but the upwards force of the tail uppercut is lost. Or something. I hope this makes sense.
Yeah, it does. Need more of an upward tilt to the head. Stuff like this would be so much easier to correct with vectors...

Shady work? I'm going to steal that one.
This looks awesome! It's funny, I'm actually somewhat divided on Fluttershy. Cute, adorable or moeness things generally don't effect me. Now, I get it, and appreciate it and enjoy it (I wouldn't be watching shows like this if I didn't), but not on a gut type level. It's like blood, gore and violence, I get it and enjoy a good violent action flick or zombies, but it doesn't make me queasy if that makes sense. But Fluttershy? HNNNNG!

Now your mech is the first giant mech to make me HNNNG!, congratulations!
Glad you like it. Unfortunately, single machines seem to suffer from critical unimpressiveness which prevents them from appearing in the drawfriend. That, or my emails keep getting lost. With EqD not replying to rejected entries, it's kinda hard to tell.

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
That song works well I've found, as something to have on in the background when it's time to get down to business!

Also, I like the idea of the tail as a weapon, and in Rarity's case it seems oddly appropriate - I can see her giving a derisive tail flick from time to time...

Anyway, I think Bakuel made some good suggestions, and all I'll add is a couple of thoughts/clarifications. First one is that the diamond shapes around her eyes give the impression of glasses, was that intentional? I ask mainly because I remember her pair having a slightly different shape and I guess I just find it a little confusing. Second, her flank seems to be just a little bit tall compared to the forelegs.
The diamond shapes around the eyes are glasses. I'm giving each machine a thematic faceplate. If you look closely at RD's Tenacity and Fluttershy's Mercy, and then back at Benevolence, I believe you'll start seeing a pattern. The "eyes" are just a projection on the faceplate, following the pilot's expression.

And for the legs seeming too high, there are two considerations. One, during transformation the hind legs form the base of the shoulder, so they need some length. Second, I hoped I gave enough of a visual semblance to high heels with their design to alleviate the effects of the first consideration. Okay, misread that. Well, no idea, personally. I just wanted to make the design make sense from a technical standpoint while retaining a feel of "grace", as far as I can place it. Maybe it's just a slightly skewed perspective? I honestly don't see the flank/leg proportion being wrong here...

And with that, the first day of work in the new year begins. Let's see if I can draw something decent (or at least interesting) today.

edit: Now, this isn't very decent (in the "well-done" sense), but might be interesting. Inspired by Trixie winning a revival vote over at the MLP Heal/Hurt game in the messageboard games section down below.

Spoiler
Show

"Anything" we can do, you say?
(note: mech probably not to scale, depending on how you see the perspective)

edit2: Detailing of the Benevolence Vs Shadowmech image continues:
Spoiler
Show

Spoiler
Show

edit3: I absolutely love doing tiny random details on damaged complex machines for some reason. I've been doing it since I remember myself drawing.
Spoiler
Show