View Single Post

Thread: Ponythread Learns to Draw! Together!

1. - Top - End - #443
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Ponythread Learns to Draw! Together!

Quote Originally Posted by Derjuin View Post
    Edit: Also I totally failed at that perspective challenge.

New thing! I actually feel really good about it. Founded? Unfounded? Who knows! But here it is, my attempt at ponification of the same character found in my avatar, Vriska from Homestuck. Beware, image is like 600x600something.

Spoiler
    Show

Pony Vriska looks so innocent...this is a dangerous thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Noctemwolf View Post
    Been Seeing Sean's work, and I must say I am duly impressed. Especially the Power Ranger Aspect- I never watched it, doesn't mean I don't think it's awesome. =)

I think the Mercy mech's hair looks fine- besides, tentacles means they can be used as weapons! =P

the only thing I have to report-
    (somewhat large image)
    Spoiler
    Show

I recently bought a sketchbook and some new pencils. first thing on the list? An action pose of my story OC!
    (After I study my Airforce stuff, first 0-0**)
    I'm looking forward to see what you fill the sketchbook with! Keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Mirrsen View Post
    I would like to request some assistance with scene setup. And some feedback, generally. I've slapped together some kind of backdrop to get a feel for lighting conditions, but I'm not entirely sure what to use as a background. Tentatively, this is a battle at night, in the Everfree, with the five Rangers sans Magenta fighting Nightmare Moon's Mecha Mooks. (Yes, I've mostly got the whole thing planned out at this point) I'll go and experiment on my own, but I'd still like to ask for help here, at least because sometimes expressing my thoughts helps me think better.
    Hmm, an experiment I'd suggest is to try doing things opposite the way you're used to - start by building up a background and then set some characters to inhabit it. I don't know if it'll help with scene setup per se, but it might be good practice with things you're less familiar with.

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    Looks good! I don't know anything about the character, but those eyes are weird XD

Drawing-wise I think the eyes could actually stand to be bigger, but other than that, it's good!

EDIT: @Sean, The Rari-mech is looking great!

My Thanqol-esque draw challenge, day 5. I used to be able to draw hands pretty well before I started drawing ponies. Today I decided to see if I still could.
    Spoiler
    Show

Hmm. I'm going to say... partial success. That bottom left one looks off, but the others are okay.

Honestly, I was too tired after work to do anything special. I have an idea for something to do tomorrow.
    I'm glad to see you're sticking with the drawing challenge! Keep up the good work! Also, the hands look fairly solid, which is impressive - most people struggle with hands until they practice a lot.

My own drawing stuff for today:
    Spoiler
    Show

This is probably my most ambitious pony project so far. Not only am I playing with a bit of perspective, but I even have a background, and I intend to color this (well, not this picture exactly, but the cleaned version that's hopefully forthcoming). I'm probably just going to start like I said earlier, with relatively flat, show-based stuff before I move on to more complex shading.

This is also part of what I hope will become a finished secret project/gift of sorts, so I have motivation to finish, just not the time...

Additionally, the next drawing challenge will probably be up sometime this weekend, before I leave town for a conference. I may be scarce this next week, but I'll take my sketchbook with me.
    Last edited by the_druid_droid; 2012-01-05 at 10:55 PM.
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!