View Single Post

Thread: Ponythread Learns to Draw! Together!

1. - Top - End - #463
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Ponythread Learns to Draw! Together!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Mirrsen View Post
    Yeah, I need to try and get a scene done properly sometime. I just never felt like actually doing a scene... well, except that one time, and if the feedback I got is to be believed, it's actually succeeded at what I wanted it to do - which is, convey an emotion state. Getting emotion conveyed properly is such a dark area for me sometimes.

Anyway, I promise I'll try a proper scene once I'm done with all these individual mech designs.

Heh, well, whether or not it's already a disaster, in-depth analysis is always welcome, if only to prevent such disasters in the future. I mean, that's what they have flight recorders for.

This is very helpful, even if it is, in retrospect, painfully obvious. There wasn't a scene here to begin with, just character designs. Everything but the character designs is/was largely an afterthought.

I'm glad the comments weren't too annoying and off beat.
    Sorry about not posting the comments sooner, I'll try to do better next time and actually post in time to do some good.

Now, the actual proceedings in the scene are slightly confusing even to me, but if I were to guess, I'd say the Shadowmech is either being chased by RD's Tenacity, or is simply harassing the Benevolence without attacking outright, being able to fly, being larger, stronger, and generally being overly cocky. In the former case, adding the Tenacity flying on the same path as the Shadowmech could address the issue. In the latter case... well, I've no idea how to represent that. All in all, it's better to just redo the whole thing as a proper scene than try to salvage the existing image. And in that case, it'll be a lot better to get Rarity to show her mech's other weapon.
    Ah I see, then if the Shadowmech is showboating around trying to intimidate, Rarity's simple and stoic slap to the face makes a lot more sense.

As a side note, if it were a comic and the scene had been set up by past panels, then you needn't have to worry about how to "tell" the story and the image would be perfectly fine. Of course, only in theory, I have very little practical experience in comics besides as a reader.
    Just throwing that out there, just in case you get onto that comic and feel like reusing some of the scenarios. But you probably aren't a lazy guy like me.

The first one, despite being unfinished, already looks very good. Although I'm comparing to my memory, everyone looks on-model and true to their appearances, the poses and positions seem natural... in other words, I marvel at how you are able to construct scenes like that.
    Thanks! For this picture I really wanted those ponies on model, but didn't want to exactly copy it either so I had a lot of references opened at once. I think the show fillies heads are still a bit bigger compared to their bodies then mine though and thier eyes are a bit larger.

The second one... that face... that grinning face alone makes me want to giggle uncontrollably. Great job on the design! The camel looks good too. I can't help but wonder whether these are "first stage" sketches, done beginning to end as seen, or "second stage" sketches, cleaned of any underlying base sketch you've used to shape out the scene and characters. I'm wondering because I can't see any of the extra lines any of my first-stage sketches would've been filled with, and yet it looks like they were drawn as-is, without cleanup. There's just a few stray lines here and there, but it's mostly just clean, deliberate strokes. Definitely not something I could've managed myself, probably not even with a character I know how to draw, much less one I just made up on the fly.
    Thanks!
    The drawing was mainly line and stroke practice, so I'm glad that turned out ok. I actually draw *very* light, so my messy lines are just hidden by the dark lines. Even after going over my original messy sketch, I generally have to copy the layer and merge it down to darken the lines a bit. I've drawn the character before, but it's not a character with a real set design, so I can be as lazy as I want and draw whatever clothing I feel like at the time.
    This one is a bit more chibi then the past drawings, I fear ponies have seeped into my style! It's like Nietzsche said, I looked too long into that abyss.

edit: all this talk of scenes got me inspired to try one. Not too happy on some details yet, and the Mercy is in an odd pose, plus needs some foreground attackers, perhaps? I didn't plan actually having attackers shown, or the beams/drill shield effect for that matter. I think it actually needs a better angle...
    Spoiler
    Show

Kinda spur-of-the-moment. Also, the TTGL influence is a little too obvious, no? :)

edit2: I'll stay the urge to refine the above until I get feedback (hopefully I will get some this time), so Anxiety remains the next machine on the list.
    Spoiler
    Show

Anything you'd say is wrong/out of place? The hair is supposed to look like that of a real pony - that's just one of the things about Anxiety that make no sense for a battle robot, but exist because of Pinkie.

When transforming for the combination machine, the Anxiety forms the twin cannons out of both its fore and hind legs, their internal structure seamlessly integrating into the cannons' housing.

If the machines of the Pony Rangers were judged solely by their potential peak power output and performance, the Anxiety would leave all its competitors trampled into the dirt, winning handily even against Celestia and Luna's Harmonic Balance. Despite being lightly armored for its role as a heavy skirmish fighter, Pinkie Pie's custom machine possesses an incredibly tough endostructure, allowing it to withstand tremendous stress over short periods of time.

Its limbs are mostly made up of myomer macro-muscles, resulting in an excellent power-to-mass ratio second only to that of Rainbow Dash's Tenacity. The muscles can sink a lot of power, but the power has to come from somewhere - and unlike RD's machine the Anxiety doesn't have a high-performance powerplant. Instead, its chestplate conceals a capacitor bank large enough to provide the power required for the firing of the twin-linked Party Cannons. Since in its Titan form the Anxiety is limited to much weaker weaponry, the power collected in the capacitors can instead be rerouted through the body's muscle groups, resulting in enormous bursts of speed, strength, and agility. And even though each such burst must be followed by a period of recharge, the Anxiety's agility and flexibility allow it to always remain effective on the battlefield.

Combined with the natural precognition abilities of the Pink Ranger, the Anxiety is a dangerous opponent indeed.

edit3: Continuing the good tradition of drawing funny ponies when frustrated with some part of the design:
    Spoiler
    Show

Not quite happy with how the rear legs, and rear torso in general, look. And the face can use a few touch-ups as well. Can't think of any good ways to improve either at the moment.
    Your new scene looks great, much stronger then the last!
    Acrobatic mech is best mech. I can just imagine it doing cartwheels around the enemy.
    Also the Justice is looking good. For the freckles it really depends on how you play it or how you hide it in the design. I mean, these are ponies after all, it need not be complete serious business. Besides, these are giant power ranger mech's that look like ponies, and Power Rangers will never win an award for most realistic and functional mech design.

On AJ and her hat, I can just imagine Pinkie bugging Rarity to use her mech to make a giant cow girl hat for AJ's mech. And I can imagine Rarity, for the sake of fashion, going along with it.

In matter of fact, every time they begin a battle, the Anxiety could pull it out of hammerspace and jam it on the Justice's head.

Quote Originally Posted by Dispozition View Post
    Bakuel: Love the perspective drawing, but I don't think you're doing it right. It looks like a one point perspective, but the point is more like you;d use in a two point, and you aren't using enough guide lines. Maybe it's just my VisCom experience talking, but you use a guide line for literally every think you place.
    But I'm just looking quickly and not actually sitting there scrutinizing it...No time!
    Your right, the perspective lines are a mess and very lazy, just for the street and the rest without and so my eyes won't turn too crooked looking at the screen without straight guidelines. And I could do with another vanishing point. The street has prespective, the buildings have perspective-light (the bases which meet the street have perspective, the door, windows, and so don't have any guidelines), and the ponies? Well, they're all over the place. And pretty flat.
    I thought about just uploading it without the guidelines and just hide them away, as the doodle looks stronger without them. As it is, it's like trying to sell a crooked house with levels (the tool) all over everything. But mess ups are mess ups and this is a work in progress. Why hide whatever props I use to waddle along?

I should use guidelines for everything, characters and buildings, but for multiple figures I can't help but fall back on lazy habits and go for the good, but not great. I'll see if I can do it right, if not in this scene then in the next one I'm planning.

But then again, now that I slept on it, the scene would be stronger if the perspective was reoriented around Twist, so the viewer was looking down the street at her looking at the CMC. But on the flip side, then she would be the center of attention rather then just off to the side.
    I may try to redo it to see how it looks. Besides Twist, I don't really care for the rest of the figures so it *should* be easy to reorient the scene and perspective around her. I'll try to get another draft up tomorrow to see how it looks.

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    Both pictures look very good! The perspective on the first is spot on. The second is just kinda fun looking. What kind of creature is the rider?
    Thanks!
    On the second pic it's a... Gremlin/ogre (depending on how big it is), chimera type creature... A mixture of mustelid, serpent, bull, canine, and a little of centipede. It's one of those things which gets drawn when I can't bring myself to draw, but feel like I should be practicing. It's my screen name's namesake.
    Last edited by Bakuel; 2012-01-09 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Spelling errors! Everywhere!