1. - Top - End - #1209
    Orc in the Playground

Default Dr. Si's Old Who Recommendations

Continuing my plan to post what I think to be the highlights of every season of Doctor Who, old and new.

For each series I choose 2 or 3 of what I consider to be the best stories, and a selection of also-rans. "Stories" may comprise any number of actual episodes (somewhere between 1-14, typically 4 or 6). Older Who is nearly always episodic, with NuWho most episodes are self-contained. Feel free to expand on my brief comments, agree, disagree etc. This is, after all, purely subjective.

First Doctor

Second Doctor

Third Doctor

Fourth Doctor

It was interesting to see, coming to this post-Star Wars season, if the success of that film influenced Doctor Who in any way. There are a few more lasers, in the Star Wars style, than before, and from time to time you get a spaceship overflight effects shot, but on the whole, very little changes. This is the season that introduces K9, which I guess you could cite as a Star Wars influenced element.

The season is an uneven one, partly due to upheavals in the production team, and marks the point where Tom Baker episodes are less reliable than they have been up until now.

Season Fifteen (1977-1978)
    Fourth Doctor/Leela

Horror Of Fang Rock – a tight, claustrophobic story with some excellent Leela moments (who, despite the usual leather bikini, appears at her sexiest here in a thick woollen jumper. At least she’s dressing appropriately). It’s a pity that the body count is so high, which somehow, counter-intuitively, diminishes the horror. Only time so far we've seen a Rutan, arch-enemies of the Sontarans.

The Sunmakers – this is another story that goes for fun above anything else. Similar to the Seventh Doctor’s Happiness Patrol (also, the Collector prefigures Sil from the Sixth Doctor era), it sticks in my mind because the final fate of the Collector (shrivelling down the plug-hole) greatly amused my seven-year old self, although it looks less convincing now.

Honourable Mentions
    Image of the Fendahl – remniscent of Season Thirteen’s gothic horror-themed stories, although I have no idea what it was all about!

Completists may want to watch The Invisible Enemy for K9's first appearance, but be warned, it's a horrible mess.
    Last edited by Dr. Simon; 2012-10-10 at 08:01 AM.
    The Lazy GM series. Lovingly crafted pre-gen monsters for Pathfinder and OGL d20 fantasy.