1. - Top - End - #350
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Relationship Woes and Advice 21: Time To Go Bar-Hopping

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    "Enhance" != "change"
    If something remained the same, how would it be enhanced?

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    But that's not an angle I'm inclined to push anyway, so whatever *shrug* But your own argument appears to be branching far, far from that original line by DMS, and heading deep into the realms of "anyone who doesn't like everything about me, no matter how gross or obnoxious, can go jump in a lake, because it's their problem not mine and I'm never going to change or improve myself in any way because nuts to everyone else".
    I really don't see where this perception is coming from, given that it isn't even close to what I'm saying and I've explained that it isn't what I meant several times at this point. I've explained in rather exacting language my issues with the idea of enhancing one's "lovable" traits (or, rather, changing oneself for the more lovable), namely that I think the idea of there even being "lovable" traits quickly becomes problematic and I'm fairly certain I'm going to find the traits selected as "lovable" even more problematic. To be blunt in the interest of clarity, it sounds like well-intended advice with a high risk of leading to Self-Help Sheeple mewling their most socially accepted traits and tired "interesting" anecdotes at one another in an unbearable cacophony of trite artifice. This isn't the advice's fault or me claiming there is anything wrong with the people saying it or the idea that one can, will, and should change, all I was doing was cautioning people to really consider what is "lovable" and/or what is actually worthwhile.
    Last edited by Vacant; 2012-01-23 at 07:45 PM.
    Serpent's Skull: Cateline Corbin

Caravan in the Sky: Dest Yonsson

Awesome Ancient Mariner avatar courtesy of Kid Kris