Quote Originally Posted by Thidrek View Post
I still like it, but I also strongly think that it was a sad and grave error for Rich to drop the original concept the comic started with.
I am 37 years old. Do you think that when I think about the next 40 years of my life, that I want to spend them making D&D webcomics? No. Of course not. This is my life, not a hobby. This isn't some lark that I'm doing during college that I'll forget about when I get a real job. This is the start of what I hope will be a career that will last the rest of my life. This is how I put food on the table for my family. Eschewing plot and character for a lifetime of easy cracks about Spot checks is not a career. It's pathetic. And it wouldn't last.

If I'm going to be a writer for a living, then there was ALWAYS going to be a point where I needed to put away the sillier gags and start writing a worthwhile story. Whether that was during OOTS or in between the transition from OOTS to whatever I do next, it was going to happen, or else OOTS becomes just a flash-in-the-pan that is forgotten when the rules it satirizes fade from public consciousness. I don't even think I'm there yet, but at least I've started trying.

What it comes down to is that I prioritize my overall development as a writer over the short-term enjoyment of that small minority of current readers that only want to see rules-based spoofs. Because most of the people who only want to read rule jokes are already gone. And because there are more people in the world who enjoy good fiction than enjoy good jokes about D&D, and I'm in this for the long haul.

That said, let's keep away from Mr. Morgan-Mar's webcomic and any bashing thereof. Or my schedule, for that matter.