1. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Default Re: "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." (3.5 Plane, PEACH)

Quote Originally Posted by Noctis Vigil View Post
    Orb Tangler
    While I kinda see where you are going with this, you have made a few mistakes.

First, you need to clearly define this creature. Anyone should be able to picture it from your description. Length, height, weight, color, how it moves, what it eats, what it likes and dislikes etc.

You forgot its hit point total.

BAB is based on a creatures Type. Aberrations have 3/4 BAB like clerics so for 14 HD, it has Base Attack of 10 not 20. Grapple is BAB (10) Strength Modifier (11) plus special size modifier (+8) PLUS +8 because it has Body of Tendrils for a total of 37 to its Grapple

Since it has extra reach (50% more), I noted it as 25 feet in the stat block. That is a little more than 50% but reach should be in 5 foot increments. You should probably fix the text in Body of Tendrils to make it a +10 foot reach. It is clearer and the DM has less math to do on his own.

Does it move slowly because it is blind? Originally, I thought perhaps you should add Blind but since the Grimlock doesn't have it, you don't need it. Blindsense 60 ft should be sufficient.

How much damage per round does strangulation do? I am not sure if you want all tentacles to attack simultaneously on one target or if it can make separate attacks with its tentacles.

Generally, creatures gain a size category when they double their HD. So I've fixed the creature's advancement.

It should have 5 feats.

It has skill points equal to (2 + Int modifier, minimum 1) per Hit Die, with quadruple skill points for the first Hit Die. It has 0 for its Int modifier so it has 8 skill points for its first HD and and 2 more for each additional HD for a total of 34 skill points.

Special Abilities should always have a designator for Ex, Su or Sp.

Here are my corrections in red so far barring any changes that you make to this creature. Note some are strictly consistency changes too for example changing feet to ft. adding commas, adding hyphenation, etc.

Size/Type: Huge Aberration
    Hit Dice: 14d8+56 (119 hp)
    Initiative: +7
    Speed: 20 ft. Fly 20 ft. (Average)
    Armor Class: 22 (-2 size, +7 Dex, +7 natural), touch 15, flat-footed 15
    Base Attack/Grapple: +10/+37
    Attack:
    Full Attack:
    Space/Reach: 15 ft./15 ft. (25 ft. with tentacles)
    Special Attacks: Strangle
    Special Qualities: Blindsight 60 ft., Body of Tendrils, DR 7/magic, Tough Body
    Saves:
    Abilities: Str 32, Dex 24, Con 18, Int 10, Wis 6, Cha 10
    Skills:
    Feats:
    Environment: End Of Time
    Organization: Solitary or in pairs
    Challenge Rating:
    Treasure:
    Alignment: Usually Neutral
    Advancement: 15-28 HD (Gargantuan), 29-42 HD (Colossal)
    Level Adjustment: --

Blindsight (Ex): Orb tanglers have no sight, instead relying on a special sense that detects motion through the cloudy vapors that composes the End Of Time. They can see anything within 60 feet of them, but nothing beyond this range.

Body of Tendrils (Ex): The body of an orb tangler is made of tendrils, with little to no actual form other than the snaky appendages. This has a few benefits, the first being that they have a reach 10 feet longer for their size category. Second, they get twice the normal size bonus to grapple checks (already included in the stat block). Finally, they tend to spread out and sway in motion, resulting in all ranged attacks having a 30% miss chance against them.

Strangle (Ex): needs description.

Tough Body (Ex): Orb tanglers are tough, resilient creatures. They gain a natural armor bonus to AC and DR/magic equal to half their hit dice.

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2012-02-01 at 05:46 AM.
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread