View Single Post

Thread: Ultima Arrow (3.5 Feat, PEACH)

1. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Ultima Arrow (3.5 Feat, PEACH)

Well, first things, Reserve feats don't typically open up off of 1st level spells, they tend to go off of 2nd - 5th level spells and then are powered by a specific type of spell. Not to mention this does more damage than any other Reserve feat or martial maneuver available at that level and those typically only hit one target.

The second is this just makes Cleric archers even more powerful, as an Elf Cleric of Sehanine Moonbow or other elven deity 3/Fighter 1 with Elf domain for the free Point Blank Shot is throwing around 3d8 damage to everything within 60' for no expediture of resources, which is stupid powerful at ECL 4. If you want it more reasonable with typical power levels, I'd make it BAB +4 so picked up at ECL 5 or 6, when area damage is normally coming on board for casters and initiators, which also allows straight Rangers to get this, who to me seem like who should be the primary recipients so they don't have to wait for Arrowstorm or whatever the prereq spell for Splitting is.

I'd also, to make it actually like Reserve feats, require an Evocation of 1st level or higher to use it and give a +1 CL to Evocations, which seems in line with what effect you're going for here, anyways. Throwing on the [Reserve] tag would also be good so people know that it IS a Reserve feat. The BAB requirement should make up for the below normal spell level requirement.

The only other thing is I'm not sure why you have to use a long or short bow and not a composite or crossbow. That just seems restrictive for no reason. I see no reason to restrict from slings or thrown weapons, either. I could totally imagine a Cleric of Talos/Stormlord activating this with javelins.
    Last edited by Cieyrin; 2012-02-05 at 10:38 AM.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!