1. - Top - End - #291
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Heroes of the Fall

Confrontation aboard Green Morningstar

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkDM View Post
    Confrontation aboard Green Morningstar

As Green Morningstar leveled off, the flock of Chaos Beasts looped around, passing behind a cloudbank in a shadowed flash before howling towards the flying ship in a unified mass. For a moment, it seemed as though they intended to shatter the divinely wrought hull with the simple mass of their bodies, but as Haramhold and Jongo readied themselves for a dire battle a flash of azure cut through the approaching horde. The Beasts of Chaos scattered, breaking into smaller flocks circling their former location. Another flash of brilliant blue, and one of the smaller flocks vanished outright. Panicked now, the beasts scattered in a frenzy of flapping wings, speeding away from their erstwhile prey in terror.

Jongo, Amanda, and Haramhold had but a moment to consider their sudden deliverance before a groan came from the stern. Turning, they heard Amanda gasp as a sinuous monstrosity coiled around the end of the ship. It was sixty feet long, at least, its body coated in sapphire scales that glinted in the sunlight. Four thin legs emerged from what they assumed must be its main body, tipped by wicked black talons. It had no wings - indeed the only sign of what could allow flight were a pair of rippling fins that ran the length of its body from its forelegs down the end of its tail, the membrane atop it glistening silvery-blue. For a moment, the beast regarded them from on high with blazing green eyes, before lowering its draconic head to their eye level. They could see its head crowned by a trio of long, flat horns that swept back from the head to embrace the open air. Releasing a puff of misty breath that smelled of salt and blood, the dragon spoke through a maw of black, needled teeth.

"Now aren't you a strange sight in the morning air. What do you make of them, brother?"

Another creak came from behind Green Morningstar's crew, and a glance behind them revealed another of the blue dragons coiled about the mast.

"Hard to tell, brother. This one smells of eternity, but the other two are far too rough and crude to be aught but up-jumped mortals."

"Hrm, perhaps. Tell us, little ones, who are you to fly so high in such an...orange contraption?"

Jongo landed on Green Morningstar and slowly, carefully, in full view of both dragons, changed back to the figure of a young human child with dusty blond hair and a white shift -- though with pointy ears.

Green and grey eye stared up at the dragons in wonder, and a small smile played at the corner of Jongo's lips, before he bowed respectfully.

"You have asked a question, and it will be answered. However, your actions demand something else; my gratitude. Thank you. I did something foolish - fun, but foolish - and your intervention saved us a great deal of hardship." Jongo raised her head, and grinned, no longer able to contain himself. She looked back at Haramhold, and squealed, "Butterfly, look! Dragons! Sooooooo awesome!"

The Band of Chaos, now a circular necklace, sung a low note, which snapped Jongo back to the matter at hand. Composing himself, Jongo coughed, and slightly abased, addressed the dragons again, "My name is Jongo, Master and/or Mistress of Chaos. Which, you would think, would mean that I'd be able to control Chaos Beasts, at least in some fashion, right? I mean, right? But nooooooo, they didn't want to listen, they..."

"Ummm... Uncle?" Breaking in, Amanda stopped Jongo's rambling.

"Yes, Amanda-girl?"

"Dragons?" Amanda, with just a small jerk of her thumb, pointed up towards the two visitors.

"Ah, right, excuse me. My nature is to be a bit distracting. Where was I? Oh! Right. Anyways, I'm Jongo, first scion of Baz'Auran. With me is my brother, Butterfly the Builder - more commonly called Haramhold - and his adopted daughter Amanda, who calls me Uncle, which I rather like." Jongo spared a smile towards his companions, before a rope from the rigging dropped down from the sail above, and tapped Jongo's shoulder.

"Oh! Right. And the 'orange contraption' is Green Morningstar. Haramhold built it, and I helped! A finer Living Ship that flies you won't find anywhere on the Disk. Anyways, we're all headed to see our family. Or, what we hope is our family. You see, we got a bit separated. But look at me, I'm rambling again, aren't I?" Absent mindedly, Jongo giggled. It seemed the sight of two dragons up close was causing her to act a bit giddier than usual.

So. Normal giddy, plus extra giddy, for a very giddy Jongo.

With some difficulty, Jongo controlled himself, and pointed at each sentient thing slowly and deliberately as she named them.

"Let me summarize. Jongo. Haramhold. Amanda (and Jewely, of course). Green Morningstar. Her crew. Oh! And the Band of Chaos." The necklace played a soft hello, gruff and mildly threatening. Like a bodyguard nodding their head, letting people know that if things were to go down, it wouldn't be easy.

Either not noticing or just unconcerned, Jongo finally asked, "May we ask your names? Also, do I really smell of eternity? I swear I've taken a bath in the past few days."
    Last edited by Gengy; 2012-02-29 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Because I can't believe I forgot Jewely too...
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Fear the Gerbils, lads! For they will destroy you!" ~ DOOM

BladeofObliviom said:
    I've only seen a character at anything resembling this level of absurdity thrive exactly once, and he/she/what-the-jongo had the advantage of being written by Gengy, who I look up to as a writer.

"What-the-Jongo?"
    Before you insult someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, you'll be a mile away, and have their shoes!
    ~avatar by myself