View Single Post

Thread: [Nexus] Stories etc

1. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] Backstories etc

Quote Originally Posted by KerfuffleMach2 View Post
    This thread gives me strong urges to flush out Zel's backstory in more detail...

And I might do some for a couple of my other characters, as well.

Memories - Part 1

Spoiler
    Show
    I sat on the cool ground, my back against the tall oak that had recently become my favorite spot for wasting time. I scanned the area around me, making sure nobody was around to bother me. I like my alone time.

Of course, with me sitting in the middle of a graveyard, there wouldn't be many people around. Obviously. However, I checked. Like I always do.

Satisfied, I let out a sigh. I fished into the pocket of my jacket and pulled out a small, round object I found on my way over. It was a compact. Some lady must have dropped it during a recent service. Things like funerals tend to distract people from lost items.

My curiosity winning control, I flipped the lid open. The little pad for applying the powder was gone. That was fine. I wasn't planning on using it anyways. I noticed the mirror had a crack running diagonally through it as well. Must have happened when it was dropped.

I stared at my reflection for a moment. I was still surprised by how much my appearance had changed since being here in Nexus. I mean, sure, I had been demon possessed and an Abyssal for at least a little while. But, still...I had over twenty years of having a certain look, and knowing it well. These changes would take some time for me to get used to.

I closed the compact with half a mind to toss it away. But, on a whim, I shoved it back in my pocket. Never know when a mirror might be handy. I let out a yawn, placed my hands behind my head, and closed my eyes, drifting into my usual nap...

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I was seven when my parents died. I still have some memories of them left. Not many. I had my dad's grey hair and eyes, and my mom's face. We lived in in of the smaller neighborhoods of Rembress. Still within the city's wall, but nowhere near the downtown area. My dad worked as a barman, and my mom worked at a bakery. They made enough money for us to live off of, but not much more. Still, they seemed happy. I used to love it when my mom was late coming home from work, because that meant she had some goodies with her when she walked in the door.

I went to school like most kids my age. Did my chores, did my homework, created the occasional mess in the kitchen. Pretty normal life.

I still don't know the details surrounding their death. I mean, I was seven when it happened. I wasn't going to look into the facts. And with everything that's happened since...well, never really had the chance to look into it.

Oh, I have my suspicions. I was told they were victims of a mugging on their way home from work. At that time, I accepted that. Why wouldn't I? It made sense. We didn't exactly live in the safe part of town. Not that there really was a safe part.

Some years later, I started thinking on those events more. My parents didn't work at the same place. In fact, they hardly ever got home at the same time. I also remembered that the year it happened was the year that the government was really starting to put its hands on everything. People protested, of course. And people disappeared. I never found anything that could prove it, but I made my assumptions.
    I just realized noone had commented on it, and I thought: I need to fix that.
    It was obviously just the beginning of the story, but it's shaping up nicely. Backstories from the first person perspective are somewhat different than usual.

Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    Tito Applehill
    Stupid
    Spoiler
    Show
    My sister is so stupid. It's like she forgot everything bad that happened! She never looks where she's going, or worries about bad people, and she's always dreaming of adventure and excitement. She wants to be a Wolfen instead of a halfling, not so she can be stronger and defend herself from bad guys, but so that she can go on hunts and get in fights with dangerous animals. Or dangerous people. Did you forget those, Lily? Remember how they locked us up? Remember how they locked the Wolfen up? Excitement is bad, you stupid little kid.

The grownups say things to me like, "Don't worry, Tito, everything will be okay. We promise." I hate it when they lie to me. Maybe Lily believes them when they make those promises, but I don't. Those aren't promises, they're wishes. They hope everything will be okay, but they don't know it will. Even I know that, and I'm only 8.

Now Dad and Waterstrider are gone away to do something dangerous. I don't know what, but they were both very serious when they left, even though they hugged us and said they'd be back soon. Oh, and everything would be okay. Except Mom and Renetta don't believe that, or they wouldn't be worrying so much. I'm not stupid, Mom. I see how you look in the distance and say prayers with your lips while you rub your wedding ring. Except it's not your real wedding ring, is it Mom? You and Dad had to get new ones because slavers pulled the old ones right off your fingers, and said swear words because they weren't made of gold. And everyone was crying and Dad said, "I have money. Don't hurt my family!" They took all the money and they hurt us. Did you think I forgot? Just because Lily did? I'm not stupid.

I remember how it felt when I didn't know the world was dangerous, and I believed everything grownups said. Sometimes I wish it could be that way again, but then I don't, because it would hurt all over again when I found out it was a lie.

That's what's going to happen to Lily, the next time something bad happens. I wish she would listen when I try to tell her. I guess maybe 7 year olds aren't old enough not to be stupid. I'll try again when she turns 8. I don't want her to be stupid.
    It's... disturbing, I'll say that much. A look through the eyes of a child whose world was shaken up in a way that shouldn't happen to anyone, much less at this age.
    Last edited by Morty; 2012-03-06 at 11:10 AM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Kid Kris. Sigatars by Gulaghar, Kid Kris, Zefir and billtodamax, respectively.