1. - Top - End - #1282
    Orc in the Playground

Default Dr. Si's Old Who Recommendations

Continuing my plan to post what I think to be the highlights of every season of Doctor Who, old and new.

For each series I choose 2 or 3 of what I consider to be the best stories, and a selection of also-rans. "Stories" may comprise any number of actual episodes (somewhere between 1-14, typically 4 or 6). Older Who is nearly always episodic, with NuWho most episodes are self-contained. Feel free to expand on my brief comments, agree, disagree etc. This is, after all, purely subjective.

First Doctor

Second Doctor

Third Doctor

Fourth Doctor

Fifth Doctor

Thanks Sunfall for the mention, glad you find it useful. I probably should have included The Black Orchid as an honourable mention as it's an enjoyable little story. Unusual in that it is a pure historical like the First Doctor stories, rather than aliens meddling in an earlier part of Earth's history. As for Caves of Androzani, well, that one's on the way...

Something else I should have mentioned in the previous post, although perhaps it's more noticable in this series, is that from the Fifth Doctor's tenure onwards there is a trend towards guest star appearances. Earlier seasons had the odd appearance by an actor who was known for other work, but it becomes almost standard here to feature someone who (in the early 80s) was a well-known TV face. Stratford Johns, Beryl Reid, Nerys Hughes, Liza Goddard, These may not mean much to you youngsters out there, but trust me they were once very well known

Season Twenty (1983)
    Fifth Doctor/Nyssa/Tegan/Turlough

Snakedance – more Mara madness, this time with Martin Clunes giving an excellent performance as a bored, spoilt princeling (his first TV role, I believe, so he doesn't count as a sleb guest like those given above). Not quite as different overall as Kinda, but a good sequel nonetheless.

Enlightenment – another one for the “fun” category, the image of sailing ships in space, racing for an unspecified prize, is one that has stuck with me for years. I like the idea of the Eternals as well – immortal, but sterile and empty. The way the First Officer follows Tegan around is very creepy.

Honourable Mentions
    Mawdryn Undead – notably because of the innovative split-time storyline, plus useful for introducing Turlough and the Black Guardian trilogy. Not sure about the Brig becoming a maths teacher (makes more sense when you know that they were originally hoping for the return of Ian Chesterton), and one of those stories where I can’t remember why the aliens were doing what they were doing. The exposed brains were nicely gruesome, though.

The Five Doctors – not really part of Season Twenty, more a special by itself. Sadly not the classic it ought to be; too many characters with not enough to usefully do, and not much attempt to make the location look very alien – I spent a lot of time admiring the dry-stone walling skills of the Time Lords. Still, fun in its own way, just wish the Doctors had spent more time together. Oh yes, and of course this is the story that gave us the worst delivery of a line in Doctor Who
    Last edited by Dr. Simon; 2013-07-05 at 07:49 AM.
    The Lazy GM series. Lovingly crafted pre-gen monsters for Pathfinder and OGL d20 fantasy.