View Single Post

Thread: Thanqol Learns To Draw!

1. - Top - End - #1062
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Thanqol Learns To Draw!

Quote Originally Posted by Eleanor_Rigby View Post
    I'd love to help you but I'm overstretching myself as it is. To try to be more specific I'll say that it was, and still is, the character on the viewer's left whose head/face I was having some issues with. One of the main observations I made was that the line weight seemed to be a bit timorous at that stage of production. It's quite thin and all about the same, you might want to look into doing Saeyan's line weight tutorial (from the Art Upgrade thread) or if you've already done it, revising it. That said, there is a marked improvement in step two of the same piece so... Obviously it's all up to you. I take issue with the statement that ink sketches will always look flat though, try telling that to EH Shepherd, Chris Riddell, Quentin Blake or Leonardo Da Vinci (at least two of those guys are dead, so that might be a bit of an ask...)
    I've actually been deliberately experimenting with new line weights because I was getting a bit wedded to my px 6 2000x2000 canvas; I've rolled down to 3px on 1800x1200. I understand the concepts of line weight and such, I think, I'm just having a bit of difficulty working out the precise settings I need to use to get it right.

I've been staring at a fair bit of lineart recently trying to eyeball brush settings I can replicate in the future. That's really hard, though. I'm equally torn by the thought that settings don't matter as long as I master my existing ones... I don't really know.

I'm a bit mortified at having accidentally offended you: I lurk on this board a lot and with a thread as prolific as this one it's quite easy to get mixed up if you're only following it casually like I do. I should have got my facts straight before saying anything though - I was trying to cover myself by using qualifiers like 'I think' and 'I'm pretty sure'. I implied that you'd missed days because I remembered there were days when you'd almost missed days and then put things up the very next day, usually two things. I wasn't trying to rain on your parade with what I was saying, I just worried that if I was 100% complementary it would sound sycophantic and insincere. Personally I don't know how to take a compliment, or a criticism for that matter, and I guess I was just assuming you think the same way I do, which is always a rather dangerous thing for me to do.
    I'm sorry in return for being a touch more snippy than I meant to; no actual malice meant or offence was taken, I miscommunicated my hyperbolic pride. Again, I am sorry.

A picture is said to say a thousand words, my pictures aren't very good but I did one for you last night as an attempt at an apology. I couldn't spend very long on it so it's scruffy. (:/)
    Spoiler
    Show

Sorry about the state of my handwriting it should read: "Sorry for mixing the threads up, Thanqol, I think your project's really good. I couldn't do that." I won't bother transcribing the stuff in lime, it's just notes on things I stuffed up with the sketch. And it doesn't even mention half of the issues
    I meant it when I said I was envious.
    D'awwww, now I feel doubly bad for being snippy. Well, proportionate response time:

You can even have my hat. Ido's not using it. No hard feelings :)
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-03-11 at 08:07 AM.
    "Army of robots is such a loaded term.
    I prefer society of robots!"