Quote Originally Posted by FlayerIV View Post
What are the final thoughts on pistols vs muskets?
Average 2 damage difference for a step slower reload that kinda requires Musket Master at higher levels to keep up with pistols. On the other hand, it has twice the range of pistols, so you don't have to maneuver quite so much and keep full attacking, so it's a matter of personal taste. Though, the double-barreled musket being unusable (10' range increment? why would Paizo do that?!? the combo weapon-muskets don't lose that much range! ) is kind of a mark against it, though, when the UC errata finally rolls out, that should be getting fixed (hopefully).

Quote Originally Posted by Person_Man View Post
Question for those who have actually played as a Gunslinger: How balanced is the Grit mechanic? Do you ever run out of Grit points? Does it cause any book keeping hassles?
I've been playing a PFS core Gunslinger from 1st to 6th with a pistol and dragon pistol and I can say that, given I only have a Wis of 14, I have to carefully monitor my Grit use. Not to mention that I generally have to keep a point of grit around to keep Quick Clear viable, as I roll a lot of 1s and 2s.

Given that I only have 2 points of Grit (though I'll be investing in a Lucky Pistol and a +Wis Headband shortly), I don't have much trouble keeping track of how much Grit I have. If it gets to be an issue, I can just use a die counter to keep track but it's about as much trouble as a Monk's Ki pool to keep track of (i.e. Not a problem).

Just reading the rules, it seems like Grit can be managed in such a way (ie, invest in the Feat/item tax to increase your Grit point total, get a lot of attacks, invest some resources in improving your chances of crit, pick off weaker enemies first, and whenever you're clearly winning combat "bank" Grit points instead of spending them) that you basically have a constant stream of Grit points when you need them. And if that's the case, why not just make Deeds at-will abilities?
It's more an issue for the archetypes (Pistolero/Mysterious Stranger) but I think you could equate deeds to Ki Powers in terms of effectiveness. Some are more effective than others but they need a cost of some kind, whether that's having certain conditions in effect or using a limited resource. Compare Sneak Attack to Up Close and Deadly, they both provide precision damage but UC&D just needs to spend grit to go off, Sneak Attack needs the target to be flat-footed, flanked or generally denied their Dex. You have to spend that Grit for each attack, as well. On top of the damage already done by bullets and ease of hitting touch AC, it may be a touch overwhelming. But, the handbook is for the RAW Gunslinger, not homebrew fixes to rebalance it as a Martial Warlock (which could be really cool, actually...), which is beyond the scope of the handbook.

Note to Cieyrin: There's no longer a need to refer to the "playtest" version of the Gunslinger in your Handbook posts, and doing so is a bit confusing to me, since I never read the playtest version and never will. Instead, it would be more helpful to simply summarize what each ability does, and why you think it's good or bad. Everything about the Gunslinger (including the archetypes, feats, etc) is open public content and is up on the Paizo SRD (although it's poorly organized by publication, instead of by class/subject).
I'll take it into consideration, though I'd like to attempt to finish the handbook before revising existing material. I just got a new laptop, so I'm in the process of transferring data over to it but, given it seems less temperamental than the Chromebook I was using in respect to handling art assets and having multiple tabs/windows open at the same time, it may speed up getting the Handbook done sooner than later.