View Single Post

Thread: The Minds of Almantha

1. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: The Minds of Almantha

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjadeadbeard View Post
    Hmmm. This has got me thinking. What if we keep your idea of the cities being set in a compass-style setting, but then just justify whatever geography exists because of the Minds. The Minds are incredibly, godly powerful things. Who's to say that they don't shape the world around them to suit their element? Volcanoes don't appear because they're near a tectonic plate boundary. They appear because that's where the Fire Mind exists. Despite being up an incline, there's a vast lagoon around Aquacor. So, basically, ignore proper geography. It's a high-magic world where magic = God-Cities.
    I like the idea, especially with the implication that the Minds themselves started warping the area, but as I said earlier, the last of the dragons bequeathed the caverns to the founder of Obsidia. Obsid could very easily have burned some extra caverns after he was installed, and has in fact done so multiple times over the course of Almantha's history. Also, Saala wouldn't much care about the plain which contains her teleport pad once she was installed in Saalarann, and the elven population which founded Dekonio would have gravitated to a small forest before settling down in the first place.

TL;DR: The Minds would have dabbled in terraforming, but there needs to be something there for them to start with. EDIT: With the exception of Aquacor. even before ascension, Aqua was an energetic young mage who would take to the challenge of creating a lake from nothing with gusto.
    Last edited by Landis963; 2012-03-18 at 11:50 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.