Quote Originally Posted by Astrella View Post
And at least it made me realize why I like Mulan so much. Reflection is a song that just rings so true.

Also, essential linky with regards to people being asses.
I like how he put that.

(It's also funny how it kind of sounds like an optimistic version of something Lovecraft would've said. )

How did therapy go?

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
It's the sort of promise one shouldn't make, one shouldn't ask of someone else, and is largely meaningless and should not be tried to be called in and one should laugh in the face of anyone who tries to do so. Preferably rudely before giving them a lesson in basic ethics.
Well, maybe not the laughing bit in this case. The problem is that it's seen as such a reasonable thing to ask of someone, when in reality it's kind of... Well, there are unfortunate implications across the board. :/

Fortunately genitalia and gonads don't have feelings or awareness themselves.

Or else we'd be in a lot worse shape than we already are.
Well, yeah (hopefully... ). It never really made much sense, but that's how things often are before you really think about them. :shrug:

Indeed... At times I catch myself imagining the hypothetical storms of excrement that will go down once science figures it out, and just what people who will refuse to acknowledge it will say instead.
Part of me doubts that they'll act any differently... They're still using a lot of the more nonsensical arguments that got discounted decades ago...

Quote Originally Posted by Astrella View Post
Well it was more a "I was born a boy; I don't know what being a girl is like; but I know I'm not a boy; gaaah; why is this so confusing; I don't have a right to claim I'm a girl; maybe I'm genderqueer?; but I just want to be seen as a girl, not genderqueer; why is this so confusingggg...." and couple that with a bunch of suppressed feeling surfacing.
*Hugs* Actually, that's pretty close to what I experienced... Er, am still experiencing. Still not sure how I'd feel about having the other set. :/

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
On the general topic of Musashi's rant:
Spoiler
Show

Remember that talk on female sexuality I was kicked out of a couple of weeks ago? Well, the girl who ran that is giving a talk on her thesis, and this is the email she sent out.
See that bolded bit?

Clearly somebody has failed to understand the point of her own thesis. Preaching to the choir is rather pointless, so the only reason to write something like that is to spread awareness to other, more privileged groups. Intentionally excluding them kind of defeats the purpose.
If you want to change the culture of privilege, power, and difference (book title), don't exclude the people who need to learn about their own privilege, and definitely don't alienate those people who realise their privilege and are trying to work with you to create equality.

So, who wants to bet I won't be allowed in because asexual doesn't count as queer?

Edit: I just realised she didn't even give a time or place, so my last question is kind of moot.
*Facepalm*

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
*holds head between hands*
So, huh, you know the circle of hate thing, and the crime I mentioned in my rant?
Spoiler
Show
Well, I absolutely don't like what the news is telling me, because it's telling me the culprit is himself part of a racial minority and targeted other minorities for political reasons and that demonstrates too well why blind hate isn't gonna help anybody and and and oh god what's wrong with everything right now

EDIT: I'm describing the event in very vague terms for a reason: so it doesn't devolve into politics. Haven't seen any problem yet at the moment I'm typing this, but I'd rather make a preemptive warning.

A minority attacking another minority simply because they exist only gives the oppressing majority extra excuses for hating the attacking minority. And the victimized one, too, because now they have to deal with the trouble caused by the conflict, and it would have never happened if the victimized minority had never existed at all. That's how it works with racism. And that's how it works with homophobia, and transphobia, and sexism, and everything. The conscious decision to make collateral damage is never a good idea, ever. You target your aggressors, and no one more. Not their family. Not their loved ones. Not their community. Not their classmates. Not their victims. Not the aggressors of your aggressors. Them. The aggressors. No one else.

I think I'm gonna lay down.
*Hugs*

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
So this thesis shindig is tonight at 6:30. Should I go? Air my concerns?
I want to say "yeah" - hopefully she can listen long enough to hear what's wrong with her assumptions. Even if she doesn't then, she might relent enough to if you persist over a couple more meetings (my precariously-balanced hat is off to you if you're patient enough for that).

Quote Originally Posted by pffh View Post
Heterosexism: Something that is of the Hetero sex? I didn't know we had a hetero sex.
It could mean 'something that is of the opinion that the sexes are opposite'.

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
And as for the people who think "insane" is a no-no word, well, by adopting it, they're not showing themselves off as being very wise. Hardly gets used to refer to the mentally ill at all anymore, and when it does, it's a rather unfortunately apt descriptor.
I'm not too fond of how people use "insane". I've heard it used to dismiss the opinions of others far too many times.

The word itself, I'm indifferent to. It roots in some rather unfortunate cultural assumptions, but there are pretty unhealthy courses of action. :shrug:

Society also probably couldn't function without the necessity of bonding with our parents and being social that is necessary to fulfill our need to learn how to be humans rather than having it be an innate thing.
I'd say it's more important to bond with other people and consider the meanings and implications of one's actions. I hate my parents (and no, "hate" isn't too strong a word), and I ended up being pretty empathetic anyway.

Also, a lot of morals actually make sense from a purely-logical standpoint (murder disrupts society, politeness can disarm arguments, etc.).

...Why aren't they spayed and neutered?

You should probably go ahead and make the appointment today...
... I'm going to refrain from exploding at that statement.

It's worth noting that they won't get pregnant that way - his cats are male.