View Single Post

Thread: Request a Homebrew: Thread 2!

1. - Top - End - #152
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Default Re: Request a Homebrew: Thread 2!

R 755 I don't know if this is specifically a homebrew, so much as it is taking something that already exists and tweaking it to make it into something different.

In Kobold Quarterly, issue 6, there was an article about crab divination (the telling of the future via the use of crabs). The idea fascinated me and they provided stats for the crabs in question, but there was one issue. The crab's stats had it as an animal and I'd prefer for it to be a vermin.

If anybody is interested in helping me out, here are the stats for the creature as a guide:

Spoiler
    Show
    Garrotter Crab
    Tiny Animal
    Hit Dice:
    1d8+2 (6 hit points)
    Initiative: +0.
    Speed: 20 feet (4 squares), swim 20 feet (4 squares).
    Armour Class: 17 (+2 size, +1 Dexterity, +4 natural), touch 13, flat-footed 16.
    Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-2.
    Attack: Barbed pincer +0 melee (1d6-2).
    Full Attack: Barbed pincer +0 melee (1d6-2) and pincer -5 (1d2-2).
    Space/Reach: 2 1/2 feet by 0 feet.
    Special Attacks: Constrict 1d3, improved grab.
    Special Qualities: Low-light vision.
    Saves: Fortitude +4, Reflex +3, Will +0.
    Abilities: Strength 6, Dexterity 12, Constitution 14, Intelligence 1, Wisdom 10, Charisma 2.
    Skills: Climb +1, Hide +14, Spot +2, Swim +1.
    Feats: Weapon Focus [barbed pincer].
    Environment: Aquatic coastal.
    Organisation: Solitary, pair, pack (3-8) or pod (9-20).
    Challenge Rating: 1/2.
    Treasure: None.
    Alignment: Always neutral.
    Advancement: 2-4 Hit Dice (Medium-sized), 5-6 Hit Dice (Large).
    Level Adjustment: -

Constrict (Ex): A garrotter crab deals 1d3 points of damage with a successful grapple check against a creature the same size or smaller. Because it seizes its victim by the neck, a creature in the garotter crab's grasp cannot speak or cast spells with verbal components.

Improved Grab (Ex): If a garrotter crab hits a creature the same size or smaller with a barbed pincer attack, it can start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can constrict.

Garotter crabs gain a +8 racial bonus on grapple checks (included in the statblock above)

Skills: Garrotter crabs recieve a +8 racial bonus on Hide checks while in an environment that contains river rocks and recieve a +2 racial bonus on Climb and Swim checks.
    Last edited by Blynkibrax; 2012-04-01 at 10:07 AM.
    Ut Abyssus per orbis terrarum.