Thread: [3.5] Gold.

1. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Reluctance View Post
    The fluff is take it or leave it.
    Yup, yes it is.
    It seems like an attempt to discourage infinite wealth loops, but then it introduces multiversial potential wealth to allow arbitrary wealth generation until the DM says the cosmos is tapped out.
    No, I did not intend to fix anything. At best, I wanted not to create new loops.

The way to tap the multiversial wealth is to cast Wish, which already puts more wealth into the hands of the players. All this (is supposed to be) is an explanation of where that wealth comes from. Do you think I am creating new loops?
    TG&G/AMT are a bit of a pain for any spellcaster without access to cantrips/orisons (it's kind of weird giving 0 level spells to someone without access to 0 level slots), but mostly serve to give another option for turning one form of fungible wealth into another.
    Hmm, good point about the casters without 0-level spells. Teaches me not to make generalizations about the 3.5 spellcasting system. Will fix.

Alchemy, though, is just bad. Not only does it allow you to destroy an enemy's swag with a simple touch attack (changing the target to one unattended item quickly patches that), but it allows for perfectly efficient item exchanges. I get the appeal. But if item X can be exchanged at 100% efficiency and then the money used to buy item Y, that helps T1-ify everyone too much. (The point of T1 is always being able to have the right solution for any problem. Perfectly efficient item exchanges allow you to quickly have just the right item for whatever situation with zero waste/disincentive.)

You also have the question of why item X can be made for (N/2) gold, but still breaks down into N gold. Changing it to only give out half the price of the item should keep the economy intact. The remainder of the item's selling price being an overhead for people who would rather pay a gold premium than invest their own life force into an item.
    Uh, two things.
    1) Alchemy has a 1-minute casting time. If you can convince someone to sit still while you melt the magic out of their gear, I think you could just as well have run off with the stuff...
    2) It does give "the amount of gold spent on imbuing the magic item with its properties in the first place", not the whole sell value. How did you read it?

Does that solve some of the concerns?
    Last edited by Ernir; 2012-04-07 at 09:39 PM.
    Halfling healer avatar by Akrim.elf.

My sarcasm is never blue.

Personal stuff: PbP characters, The Diablo 2 game (DMing), BBCode syntax highlighter for KDE
    CharOp: Lists of Necessary Magic Items
    Homebrew: My proudest achievement, a translation of vancian spellcasting to psionic mechanics. Other brew can be found in my Homebrewer's Extended Signature.