View Single Post

Thread: OotS invading your brain

1. - Top - End - #27
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: OotS invading your brain

I've tried to find alternative solutions to violence in CRPGs (if possible) even before I started reading OotS and obviously after that too. Still, I think moral conundrums are better implemented in stick figure comics than in video games.

In first NWN, I always executed the ring leader(s) of whatever band of violent bandits I was fighting, even after they begged for mercy (which was very often). Sure, they had a bad childhood/whatever and they promised to leave and everything but I didn't listen to any of that. My rationale was that it would be ridiculous to let them live after slaying all of their henchmen just to reach them. So, I kill the rank and file but I should let the master mind go scott free? Does that seem right to you? "Captain goes down with the ship."

In tabletop RPG, there would be an option to negotiate a peaceful solution with all of the bandits and not just with the guy holding the ultimate responsibility... who is willing to negotiate only after he's about to kick the bucket.

I tended to save my good will for people who weren't an active menace for a city or a countryside and I went out of my way to help those people.

And now for something completely different. When I played Icewind Dale II, I modeled my party after the Order. It wasn't completely accurate but apart from an actual tabletop RPG-campaign, I don't how else you could play as the whole Order.

Roy was tough. I ended up spawning him stat increase-potions (hax!) at the start because he seemed to have lucked in the stat roll (hax!).

I wasn't able to make Durkon LG and shoot lightning so I picked LG.

Vaarsuvius was just a blaster wizard... with a male body and a female voice.

Haley was kind of useless because it seemed like the sneak attack didn't work with ranged weapons...

Elan rocked! He casted chromatic orb, buffed others, (dire) charmed monsters and because of low Wis and Int, he had mad combat stats (and Cha) and he could sing, sing, sing, sing, the whole frickin' day if he really felt like it.

Belkar was a combat monster (low Wis and Cha= mad combat stats) and I think one of the voices was almost like made for Belkar: "Welp, looks like I'm gonna have to go on a killing spree."
    Last edited by Raimun; 2012-04-09 at 06:58 PM.
    Signatures are so 90's.