View Single Post

Thread: Request a Homebrew: Thread 2!

1. - Top - End - #155
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Default Re: Request a Homebrew: Thread 2!

Quote Originally Posted by Blynkibrax View Post
    R 755 I don't know if this is specifically a homebrew, so much as it is taking something that already exists and tweaking it to make it into something different.

In Kobold Quarterly, issue 6, there was an article about crab divination (the telling of the future via the use of crabs). The idea fascinated me and they provided stats for the crabs in question, but there was one issue. The crab's stats had it as an animal and I'd prefer for it to be a vermin.
    C & H 755

Actually making them vermin isn't going to change their stats much except make them a little weaker. Swim speeds aren't given in squares because of vertical movement (same for burrow, climb, and fly speeds).

I also own a copy of KQ 6, so I went to the source. It actually looks like there is a mistake in the original stat block. The modifier on the crab is +2 racial modifier on Swim, but because it has a Swim speed the modifier should be +8. The original author forgot about this.

A creature with a swim speed can move through water at its swim speed without making Swim checks. It has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. The creature can always can choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. The creature can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line.
    Type change to Vermin. , HD and BAB aren't changed and skills and feat stay the same as long as it still has Int 1 and you don't make them mindless. Vermin don't have good Reflex saves so reduce it by 2 and change low-light vision to darkvision. That's about it.

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2012-04-12 at 09:56 AM.
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread